3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

illegal tinting

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 09:33 AM
TANKZ400
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: illegal tinting

The tint thing is getting out of hand in frederick,md to they are on this 60 pull every one over and give tickets thing.

Old 03-04-2008, 09:40 AM
2005cobrakiller
Captain

who needs tint.....I like that clear that way people can see me lookin at em like they are focking idiots

Old 03-04-2008, 09:59 AM
cddailey
Veteran

i got 20% on my front windows to match my back and im almost thinking about getting another layer of 20. ive had 5% on a white car and nothing happened but i was driving in a richy area with a diff car i had with 20% and 5% on top of that which was just straight black, couldnt see anything and they searched me and my car. i always thought 35 was ok but depending where you live i just got my front windows to match the rear.

Old 03-04-2008, 10:01 AM
cddailey
Veteran

another way to get around it if you know a doctor is to get a doctors note saying its to block light to help your vision. i tried that but my dr. wouldnt go for it.

Old 03-04-2008, 01:30 PM
oefootball_70
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It is called photphobia, Its a fear of too much light. I have a prescription for it from my uncle. He works for an optometrist.

Old 03-04-2008, 01:43 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion

Either that or get the truck registered in another state. I forget what the legal limit here is but they dont really enforce it too much unless you have limo tint all around, then they will give you the option of peeling it off right there on the spot or they give you a ticket. But to think living in Arizona without tinted windows...you would fry your *** off with the ac on....

Old 03-05-2008, 03:06 AM
SmittyRN
Professional

ORIGINAL: oefootball_70

It is called photphobia, Its a fear of too much light. I have a prescription for it from my uncle. He works for an optometrist.
Photophobia isn't the fear of light... it's a symptom of excess sensitivity to light, as in discomfort or even pain with light exposure. Lots of stuff can cause it, for the most part by interfering with the way your eyes protect themselves from excessive light, be it physical injury or a disease process that keeps the pupil from constricting properly. There are a lot of drugs that can cause it too. And unless your uncle is a doctor, physicians assistant, or a nurse practitioner, he can't write a prescription just because he works for an optometrist. That might cost you a ticket if you try to use it in court, and get your uncle in trouble.

Getting a doctor to write a prescription is a different story. I know in Missouri that you can get a permit if a doctor writes a prescription and states that you have a condition, not a symptom... and, they will call the doctor to verify the prescription. I know one guy who got a ticket, called 20 eye docs who would have nothing to do with it. He finally went to one, asked about it during the eye exam, and the doctor told him to just wear sunglasses. He told the doc that he had a mole behind his ear that made wearing sunglasses painful; the doc went for that. The judge dismissed the ticket, but told him to update the prescription every year. He's lucky, in my opinion, because you can buy plenty of shades like my Maui Jims that don't even go down behind the ear. He had better not get pulled over wearing sunglasses, though.

You can also try to claim you have a rare condition called Erythropoietic Protoporphyria, where your skin is very sensitive to light, but that's really pushing it.

Old 03-05-2008, 07:03 AM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

'Round here, they don't mess with trucks much. I've heard they go after the pimp-mobiles.

Old 03-05-2008, 11:21 AM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

Yea blame the cops...don't blame yourself for knowing it's illegal when you put it on there in the first place. You know it's illegal so if you choose to tint the windows then accept the consequences like a manwhen/if they come. It's a safty and revenue issue for the cops...they want to be able to see the people in the vehicle. Also with all of the red light cameras (around here anyway) they need to be able to see the driver in order to send you a ticket.

I've had to have my side windows stripped twice and I don't complain about it....it's also free if you strip it yourself.

Old 03-05-2008, 11:40 AM
allpro1993

i found out in illinois u can have tint legall on front drivers/pass. windows with doc note however catch22 is u have to display a sticker on back window but ull never get the sticker. bull**** goverment.

Quick Reply: illegal tinting