3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Go WARN

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 05:33 PM
SWOS Chief
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Go WARN

Was the winch included with the deer killer or did you add it?

Old 03-04-2008, 06:00 PM
motorider228
Champion

Good idea on a cover, I have seen some nasty *** winches due to adverse weather conditions.

Old 03-04-2008, 06:42 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

NICE!!! I really like the lower profile winch mount. Mine bolts up to the same holes as yours, but the mount itself is taller which makes you NOT be able to use the bottom pipe. I actually wanted the same winch you got, but opted for the next model down, figuring to mount the celenoid pack on the winch, making the clearance for the lower bar. NOPE, still sits about 1/2" too high. I called warn and they basically said that the lower bar or a light bar cannot be used with the winch mount. Obviosly they got bitched at by more than just me, because yours is lower and even clears your taller winch.
I'll show you pic of what I mean.

BTW: I like the black look. It's be REAL killer if you replaced your chrome front pieces and nerfs with black...

[IMG]local://upfiles/67238/8898275141784BFDA669B0967CC585DB.jpg[/IMG]

I guess maybe the only consilation is that my mount may afford a little more protection for the winch, but I'd rather have yours. But not enough to pay for it and have to re-mount everything.
Also pisses me off that the winch mount is onlymade in black. Youshould be able to get it in stainless to match the rest, but I guess that's to make you have to buy the cheasy ABS chromed cover for like $250[:@]

Old 03-04-2008, 06:55 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Also, in the future P-Man, drill bits only cut with the point. If you find yourself needing to make a bigger hole than you have a bit for, use a round file. You'll have the larger diameter you need in seconds.

I opened four small holes in the bottom of the mount to accomodate some big U-bolts to mount my Clevis' as attach points. After doing like you and wrestling with trying to side cut with a large drill bit for like 20 mins and getting nowhere, I decided to use the round file and had all four to size in like three minutes...

Old 03-04-2008, 08:47 PM
Pirata
Champion
Location: 2nd star to the right, then straight on until morning
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: SWOS Chief

It might be a deer killer but it also is a truck saver at the same time.

Hammer, what do you have those shackles attached to unter your mounting plate? I want to either add a couple tow hooks or shackles under mine to use as anchor points if I ever use a pully to pull myself out of something.

I rewired the winch tonight. I unfortunately used 2 black battery cable leadsthat were 4 feet long each. They had the same roundconnector on each end and I used about a half a roll of electrical tape at the point where the two cables connected to keep the water out. Does this seem like it will stand up to the elements? I ran the cable behind the bumper and came up at the extreme left side then wentinto the engine compartment at the top. Unfortunately the point connecting the two cables is right about in the middle on theway straight up.Is this asking for trouble? Is there something else aside from electrical tape I could use to keep the water out and toprevent these from grounding themselves out?

Old 03-04-2008, 09:09 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

On the base of the winch mount there are 4 unused holes (2 on each side) at least on my mount, which is obviously different from yours (see post above). I found a couple of U-bolts that pretty much lined up with the holes. The 4.75 ton rated U-bolts were about 25% bigger in diameter than the holes, so I opened them a tad with a round file (also see post above). A couple of washers, lock washers and nuts later I had u-bolts rated at over 9000 lbs. firmly attached to a winch mount base that must be able to handle much more than that. Then it's just a matter of getting a couple shackles and attaching them to the u-bolts.
I have not had to use them yet, as I've not had to pull myself out in quite a while. I've used the winch to pull other trucks out, golf carts from lakes, ATV's from mud holes and move downed trees. So I've not had the opportunity to use my shackles. But they are there when/if I need them and besides, I think they look cool...

Old 03-04-2008, 10:23 PM
SWOS Chief
Veteran

ORIGINAL: Pirata

ORIGINAL: SWOS Chief

It might be a deer killer but it also is a truck saver at the same time.
Oh trust me I know. My wife has killed more deer with vehicles then I have with my rifle. I wasn't busting his *****, I was asking a serious question, just threw the name I call grill guards in there. Plus, it pisses the PETA(People Eating Tasty Animals) types off.

Old 03-04-2008, 10:33 PM
NYPANAMA42
Record Breaker

Well I'm sorry i missed the picture posting forum..........I see you ladies didn't miss a chance to see yourselves in pictures...lol
Unfortunately, i don't do pictures...I didn't want your girlfriends to dump you guys......
So by the way, what do you guys use the winch for anyway? I mean do you guys actually use it? what's the max weight it can pull?

Old 03-05-2008, 12:46 AM
Pirata
Champion
Location: 2nd star to the right, then straight on until morning

I like the fact your wife has hit more deer than your rifle.

NYpanama, my winch has a 4.5 ton capacity. The Trans4mer itselfhas a capability to support up to a 6 ton winch. Yes, winches pull yourself or someone else out who gets stuck. If I had a sufficiently stout anchor point it could lift my truck completely off the ground (like in the movie The Gods Must Be Crazy), not that I would ever try that one.

What's the vote on the wiring? Good or not?

Old 03-05-2008, 08:27 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Good, the electrical tape, if you wrapped it overlapping, will be perfectly fine unless you decide to submurge your truck...

Quick Reply: Go WARN