3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

HELP! :( ***UPDATE*** smell lawsuit?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 08:54 PM
RAM0447
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! :( ***UPDATE*** smell lawsuit?

Hey guys....anyway, let me go ahead and tell the whole story first. I bought the truck used about 5 months ago with about 38k. Anyway, the first couple of days I notice the horn wouldn't work. So, I brought it in to the dealer and they found that it was the fuse that was missing...and the guy was like wtf, why would the last owner take the horn fuse out. So, tonight, I start taking my passenger side door panel off trying to pry off the manual window roller (WHAT A BITCH! but finally got it off )...and the horn just goes off till I finnaly turn the truck on and turn it back off to turn it off. I was like wtf? There's nothing I'm messing with that is electrical...just trying to pry the damn window roller off as it scares the living **** out of me! So then I pop the hood to disconnect the negative terminal for it to not happen again, and as I lift the hood up..boom....**** my pants again. It wouldn't turn off when I started the truck and turned it off...it just went off on its own after a good minute of disturbing the neighbors (doing this in a buddies garage). So I just take the fuse back out and realize why the owner before took it out probably. NOTE that the truck DOES NOT have an alarm, so what the hell is making it do this??????? I'm puzzled.....

AND another thing....the window roller has a metal "C-clip" that goes on it...how the hell do I put it back on? I don't understand how to clip it back on the window roller since it's impossible to even bend!

And to finish it off, I couldn't even install my speakers because I don't even have any torx screwdrivers or adapters . Mybuddy had some but all were too small....so what a ****ty night. I'm just going to buy some...I just wish I had my parent's garage and dad's tools! (Sucks living at an apt. complex ...)..........BUT PLEASE HELP ME WITH THE HORN ISSUE AND PUTTING THE METAL C CLIP BACK ON THE WINDOW ROLLER!!!! THanks!

***********UPDATE**********

Anyway, so I look back at the 120 point insepection that is SUPPOSED to be performed on the truck and looked for the horn under the operational inspection...and guess what! It was marked as "meets standards" as the fact IT DID NOT WORK! I had to bring it in the next day to get it fixed since the fuse was missing! So, if they have a problem with fixing the truck (I want the whole damn harness fixed), they will be notified of this incident as it is a big safety issue since the state of kentucky has the horn as a safety feature that MUST be operating. I left the fuse out, but if it comes to it, I smell a lawsuit since they did not do their job correctly of even checking the horn, yet they still marked it as meeting standards. I guarantee they will not argue and just go ahead and fix it....I'll keep you guys updated so hopefully I'll have the gas guage light, cd player (doesn't eject), license plate lights (they can buy the bulbs haha), all fixed here. Plus it'll be fun to get a rental car if they give me one (truck is certified till 80,000 miles or 2012, but just basic powertrain warranty). Hopefully this goes well...

Old 03-07-2008, 10:36 PM
RAM0447
Professional
Default RE: HELP! :( installing speakers...

sorry the title is a bit misleading....but SOMEBODY has to know ...I'm just desperately waiting for an answer! Could my truck have electrical issues? I mean the cd players malfunctions (as a lot of others have the same problem), the license plate lights don't even work..dont know why (bulbs? too new though?), gas guage light went out, and now this horn issue? I might just go physco on the dealership and tell them wtf is up with all these electrical issues.

Old 03-07-2008, 10:50 PM
mmstar23
Champion

wtf....weird *** horn issue. i have a problem with my horn too, but thats because whenever i go offroading mud and i guess water gets in it.....so now it sounds like crap. wish i knew how to fix it. but sounds like your truck does have some electrical problems though. bring it to the stealership. liscense plate lights could be bulbs....when i bought mine i had to replace my 2 liscense plate bulbs and 1 bulb in the 3rd brake light, the one for the cargo light

Old 03-07-2008, 11:42 PM
The Peddler
Record Breaker

Sounds like you do have some electrical problems. You need to take that in and get it looked at.

Old 03-08-2008, 02:33 AM
StevenMoffettKY
Veteran

Sorry to hear about your troubles. You can get a cheap set of those torx screwdrivers at Autozone or Advance or even Wally World, I had to buy a set because all the screws in my Grand Ams dash were those whenever I went to do some work on it. And at least you got a garage to work in, I was installing my cd player in the snowing cold weather last week, lol. And that horn issue sounds crazy, hope you get it and any other electrical problems corrected.

Old 03-08-2008, 08:23 AM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Won't help with the specific problem, but if you have a Harbor Freight in your town, they carry all sortsa stuff to help you work on your truck. Electrical gremlins can be a bear to track down. All platitudes, of course. Good luck with the solution.

Old 03-08-2008, 08:06 PM
RAM0447
Professional

oh lord, just gonna take it in to the dealer and bitch them out. The horn is a safety feature and they should be obligated to fix that.....correct? The mechanic should remember asking himself why the last owneer took the fuse out, so they should do it. If not, possibly report it to the DMV or something, I need my horn...and i'm not paying a crazy price to get it fixed.

Old 03-09-2008, 12:04 PM
RAM0447
Professional

read the update and tell me what you all think.

Old 03-09-2008, 12:31 PM
red91RT
Veteran

they definitely need to fix. no question.

But...I've had experience with two cars like thaton thehorn(both chryco's as a matter of fact.) It was when the clock spring was going bad. it behaved very funny...like you might be just looking at it and sneeze and that's when it just happened to make enough contact to go off sounding the horn again. If your license plate lights turn out to be something simple (like bulb) then I'd have them take a look at that. The CD player eject is probably just the cd player--happens a lot with all brand electronics.

On the second car sometimes the turn signals would be an issue too. That's what helped me narrow it down to the clockspring on that one.

good luck.

Old 03-09-2008, 12:58 PM
RAM0447
Professional

I'll just let them have a look at everything. lol, but thanks for the input, i'll def. mention the clock spring! (w/e that is). Things should go well as they are pretty nice people, just wish today wasn't sunday because I hate waiting. I'll post pics of the renta car haha...ok im just kidding.

Quick Reply: HELP! :( ***UPDATE*** smell lawsuit?