3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Block Drain Plugs

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 07:18 PM
trungducdoan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Block Drain Plugs

I am trying to flush my coolant system and was told that there are some drain plugs on the block. just dont know were they are at. Does any one know the location or have pic of what they look like. this is all that i found

"There are drain plugs on both sides of the block. Fill, flush, and drain. Repeat if necessary?"

57000 miles
2005 Hemi

Old 03-14-2008, 09:21 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Block Drain Plugs

Those are usually freeze plugs. They don't need to come out for flushing. A basic old flush kit will take care of that for you. Just make sure the t-stat opens and the heater is on HOT. Be careful of the antifreeze. Make sure none gets away from you. It's bad for critters.

Old 03-15-2008, 03:11 AM
derricksmash
V6 Ram Moderator
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Block Drain Plugs

they are not freeze plugs. there is a block drain on the sides, just below the line of those freeze plugs.

here is an exmaple:
http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p...p/IM000858.jpg

every one i've done has had a square head, so it should be easy to spot. i do it often too...every spring, all the vehicles we have...(about four until about a year ago)....so i've done it a dozens of times since i was liek 14 w/ my pops. also, there isn't always two...i dont' believe any of my cars in the past have had two.

it's fairly important you get those plugs out in my opinion, cause they're on the bottom on the block, and if you just fill it, you're filling it up, and having it flush out the top...so, you of course you want drainage to be as low as possible (such an oil pan plug, transmission pan plug, diffenential plug, see the pattern?)

also, open drain valve in lower radiator...again, the whole drainage issue. if it doesn't have one, just run the flush with your hose for 1/2 hour or so, then remove lower hose to get it to all dump out.

make sure your heater core is open (turn temp **** all the way red), get a flushing tee kit and place it as high as you can on a heater hose. take out thermostat, put upper hose/housing back on without it.

also, the smartest thing you can do, and something that really makes people think your a genius - whiel you have that pan plug out, get out your baby monkey wrench. put like a 1 1/2" inch nipple in there, and then a ball valve. makes your next flush easier. and, of course leave the flushign tee in place, and put the cap on it...so don't put it somewhere where it'd **** you off everytime you look under your hood.

anyways, be sure to find that square headed block plug(s). like i said, you want your water hose to be pushing crap out the block, not filling it with water until it ideally runs clear.

edit: but, you never really said what kidna flush you're doing. there is all this crap abotu liek sodium salt flushes or something. no need man. just water...preferably warm water if you can actually drag a hose into your basement and hook that sumbitch up to the water heater.

Quick Reply: Block Drain Plugs