3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2007 Ram Sirius radio quality sucks

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 09:19 AM
Zack1978
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2007 Ram Sirius radio quality sucks

ORIGINAL: Kooda

I replaced the factory radio in my 06 Ram. I added a Pioneer head unit, didn't change the speakers, or add an amp yet, and it sounds 100% better than the stock unit. I figured it would sound better than the stock unit, but it is unbelievable the difference it made.

Don;t mess with Crysler, just go buy a good head unit, and the good wiring harness. I had to pay $89.00 just for the harness, so it wouldn't cause any codes. You will also have to buy an antenna adapter, that was cheap though.

All in all it cost me $128.00 for the harness, the antenna adpater, and the faceplate. I already had the headunit, taken out of my previous truck.
CAn you elaborate on your set up? Have you kept Sirius intact? Is it directly wired to the aux input on your new head unit? What type of harnesses did you buy and where did they come from?

Thanks,
Zack

Old 03-15-2008, 10:16 AM
brbrem

I have factory Sirius as well. No problems with sound. The sound is as good as FM or better. IMO better than FM. I haven't listen to regular radio in years!

Old 03-15-2008, 10:40 AM
Kooda
Rookie

My truck had the factory Sirius, but I have never paid for the service. Any good head unit todayshould have provisions for Sat. radio, both Sirius and XM. Check out www.crutchfield.com they sell anything you need, you can even keep the factory steering wheel controls.

Any good custom stereo shop should have all the harnesses and adapters you will need, that's where I got mine. It was an easy install, and I did it myself. So far all the mods I have done I have done myself.

Here is a picture of the unit.

Name:  IMG_0049-3.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  86.1 KB

Old 03-15-2008, 11:05 AM
Arvada
Amateur

I asked the dealer mobile tech if he had an extra antenna to test if it affected the signal and sound quality. I figured that would be an easy test and help narrow it down to the Sirius radio or it's antenna since the factory AM/FM radio had been swapped without any change in the Sirius sound quality. But he didn't have one.

I did change the facotry speakers to Polk Audio speakers. Vast improvement. The factory CD changer sounds pretty decent with good speakers.

If the factory installs sub-par Sirius receivers and antennas, it again makes me wonder what they are trying to accomplish. After a free year of crappy service there is no way I would give Sirius any money to continue it's use. I'm going to visit a couple of stores today to listen to what it should sound like.

Has anyone tried HD Radio? It would be nice if there was a unitthat would plug into the sat radio connection in place of the Sirius unit.

Quick Reply: 2007 Ram Sirius radio quality sucks