3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Thinking about buying a HEMI!

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 01:33 PM
Heminator2
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Thinking about buying a HEMI!

My 99 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie edition has 206,000 miles on it. I have had no problems with it other than the manifold plenum, which is normal for the 360. It still drives good, no rattles, no engine problems, and no steering problems. We bought an 05 Hemi that now has 56,000 on it, with no problems. Everything that requires oil, has Amsoil in it, thats both trucks. You can't beat a Hemi Ram with anything.

Old 03-15-2008, 02:58 PM
miboy62
Rookie

fordordodge, just my 2 cents this is my first Dodge.07 QC 5.7 Ibought it in Sept 07 My last 4 new trucks have been F-150's last one was a 05 4.6 So far I'm happy with the Ram only 6,000 miles, so far no issues and I like the ride. And the HEMI's a kick azz motor.

Old 03-15-2008, 03:02 PM
cddailey
Veteran

I love my truck and I wouldnt trade it for any other one out there....other than maybe the 4x4 version of mine.

Old 03-15-2008, 04:20 PM
fordordodge

My current truck isa 2wd crew cab so I will be either getting a quad cab or mega cab. I will be keeping my F150 so that's one reason why i'm so open minded about purchasing a Dodge or Chevy! I will be getting a 4x4 to navigate driving in the snow easier. I will be keeping this truck for atleast 100,000 miles so I reallyhope i'm making the right decision. I'm gonna try andtest drive a Dodge and i'll be throwing the Chevy in their just for comparisons sake. I think that Chevy makes their vehicles to much like car's though.

Old 03-15-2008, 04:49 PM
casey_c2006

I love the Hemi, I have a 2004 Hemi Dixie Custom. Awesome black/orange paint job. The truck has 32,500 and i'm looking to sell it if anyone is interested.

Old 03-15-2008, 06:16 PM
HighDuke1911
Champion

i like the look of the current f-150s. its just dependability wise, theyre not as tough as dodge. i have a good buddy who plays soccer with me who owns a 2006 5.4 v8 quad cab (or whatever its called in ford). he likes it, it does look nice with his 6inch lift, but he says if he had the chance to go back, he wouldve got the hemi. i hope that helps too. i mean, we were originally looking into a ford (but my pops is a dodge guy) and we switched over. excellent customer service, great prices, and just an easy transaction overall. like i said eralier, go to both dodge and ford dealers, ask them questions. compare and contrast. ask them what i told you to ask up above ^. see whats going on. see whos just trying to sell and whos actually helping.customer service plays a huge role to us in purchases no matter what the price. even if the dealer where we got our truck had the truck for $5k more than this crappy dealer which we checked 15 min. before for the same ram for less $$, wed go for the service. well worth it. no problems. good luck man!

Old 03-15-2008, 07:27 PM
fordordodge

Yea i'm gonna go to more than one dealership before I make a decision. This was just another way of me getting an opinion from a different source. It's almost impossible to get an honest answer from a salesman cause their only gonna tell you what you wanna hear 90% of the time. I know that as soon as I go to the Dodge dealer that the first remark a salesman is gonna make is about the "LIFE TIME POWERTRAIN WARRANTY" i'm not stupid though I can guarantee you that it won't take a dealer long to stab someone in the back about that crap.Another reason why I'm not interested in the 09 Dodge Ram's are the rear suspension! What is Dodge thinking dumping the leaf spring rear design? I need payload capacity not a family sedan! The solid front axel's on the Ram 1500's have alway's in my mind been a great idea! For them to move to a coil spring rear end is just stupid! On the Ford forums people alway's give Dodge negative points for having a basic interior, as long as it has an air conditioner and a cd radio i'm happy! I don't need on start or any of that other bull crap that manufacturer's are putting inside trucks nowaday's. I know that I may sound crazy to some of you but I like sticking to the basic's!

Old 03-15-2008, 11:45 PM
oefootball_70
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: fordordodge

Yea i'm gonna go to more than one dealership before I make a decision. This was just another way of me getting an opinion from a different source. It's almost impossible to get an honest answer from a salesman cause their only gonna tell you what you wanna hear 90% of the time. I know that as soon as I go to the Dodge dealer that the first remark a salesman is gonna make is about the "LIFE TIME POWERTRAIN WARRANTY" i'm not stupid though I can guarantee you that it won't take a dealer long to stab someone in the back about that crap. Another reason why I'm not interested in the 09 Dodge Ram's are the rear suspension! What is Dodge thinking dumping the leaf spring rear design? I need payload capacity not a family sedan! The solid front axel's on the Ram 1500's have alway's in my mind been a great idea! For them to move to a coil spring rear end is just stupid! On the Ford forums people alway's give Dodge negative points for having a basic interior, as long as it has an air conditioner and a cd radio i'm happy! I don't need on start or any of that other bull crap that manufacturer's are putting inside trucks nowaday's. I know that I may sound crazy to some of you but I like sticking to the basic's!
I know what you are saying about the basics. I love that about my truck.

Old 03-16-2008, 03:48 PM
tmodlin
Rookie

ORIGINAL: fordordodge

Thanks for the link! I'm about 95% sold on getting a Dodge next! I just would like to have someone write up about the reliability of these trucks! I have alway's heard that Dodge's have fairly reliable motor's so i'm wanting to mainly hear about the tranmission's. Are the 1500's available with a manual? I read on another post where someone mentioned about them being high maintenanced. Does that mean the ball joints or tie rods break easily? Or that Dodge requires maintenance performed more often as in changing spark plugs?
Spark plug changing is recommended a lot more often in the Dodges and is a pain in the *** to do to, but other than that I cant think of anything that requires maintenance more often on a dodge vs a ford or chev. All 3 brands dont have serviceable balljoints from the factory so obviously they arent going to last forever. The Hemi uses an extra quart of oil compared to the other brands but I guess I dont see that as an issue. A friend of mine used to work at a Dodge dealer and he mentioned to me when I was looking that I should get an 05+ because of valve spring issues in the Hemi in the years prior. Also something about the pinion bearing in the rear but he also said the main problem with that was lack of maintenance.

When it came time to buy for me the biggest factor was the price, I am glad I ended up with the Dodge but I still like the Ford and Chev/GMC.

Old 03-17-2008, 08:36 AM
fordordodge

I'm going today to test drive me an 08 HEMI! Wish me luck everyone!

Quick Reply: Thinking about buying a HEMI!