3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1500 mega cab questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 11:23 PM
Larry Madden
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1500 mega cab questions

I am wanting to buy a 1500 mega cab and had a few questions for the owners.
How do you like it over all?
What kind of mileage?

I had a 2003 QC 4X4 1500 hemi for 3 months till some one stole it. I loved it. I built front and back replacement bumpers, put steps, dual exhaust. The dealer told me it had the century key but come to find out it didnot. I am now ready to get another dodge.

Old 03-16-2008, 12:57 AM
ThaChad
Professional
Default RE: 1500 mega cab questions

I have an '06 1500 MegaCab 4x4.

I LOVE my truck, it's extremely easy to drive, dispite how big it is. I have a Superchips, and Flowmaster 50 Series HD muffler with Dual Exhaust. I only have5 majior complaints... #1 They should have put 33" tires on the truck from the factory. (The gap between the top of the tire and the bottom of the wheel well is HUGE! I can stick 1/2 my body in there!). #2 They should have came with atleast 4:10 gears, if not 4:56 from the factory. #3 The Infinity system sucks, and is NOT worth the money. #4 The headlights are almost useless, the fog lights work better for headlights than the actual headlights.(Don'tget one with out fog lights or you will be sorry). #5 GAS MILEAGE SUCKS!!

If I knew what I know now, before I purchased the truck, I would have bought the 5.9L CTD! 18-22mpg reported by some... I only get 9-12 MPG with the HEMI.

The Hemi has PLENTY of power, even for such a heavy truck (actually built on the 2500 Long bead frame), but with gas prices touching $4.00/gal, CTD just makes more since.

-TheChad

Old 03-16-2008, 08:29 AM
VA4MEDS
Veteran

I wouldn't have anything else. The ride is like a luxury car. I've got the Hemi & 4x4. I couldn't see the extra bucks for CTD plusthe extra cost of diesel. My mileage is about 17/13 w/ 3.73s keeping my foot out of it.

Old 03-16-2008, 08:52 PM
ThaChad
Professional

ORIGINAL: VA4MEDS

I wouldn't have anything else. The ride is like a luxury car. I've got the Hemi & 4x4. I couldn't see the extra bucks for CTD plusthe extra cost of diesel. My mileage is about 17/13 w/ 3.73s keeping my foot out of it.

diesel costs about $0.30 - $0.70 more per gal, but gets 2x the MPG (diesel has been cheaper than gas in the past, might happen again), so that would be like buying gasoline at 1/2 the price! You also get alot more power for towing.

are you actually calculating that MPG? or just using the overhead display?

There's no way on gods green earth you get 17mpg. I drove like a grandma, coasting to signal lights, running premium fuel, with my superchips in performance tune (suppose to get better MPG), and I have a undercover bed cover, but I still can't get over 13mpg.

Maybe your camper shell makes a difference, but I can't see 4-5MPG difference, unless you go down alot of hills coasting.

-TheChad

Old 03-16-2008, 09:37 PM
semlohde

I just traded BACK in a CTD 2500 for a Mega Cab 1500 5.7L HEMI AND I AM SOOO SORRY! I had a very nice 2004 Big Horn 5.7L and traded it for a 2007.5 CTD. Diesel is up to $3.89 here in Memphis so I thought I HAD to get out of this problem. LORDY help me! I got a Mega Cab 5.7L HEMI for that $3.06 87 octaneor $3.16 89 octane that I am using and low and behold I get 13 combined mpg hand calculated. This is FAR worse than I had on my 2004 Big Horn and 3 mpg worse than the diesel. Add to that I will be close to my max towing weight of 7900 pounds. A Tundra will tow 10,400. WHAT'S UP with a HEMI having a max of 7900 with the 3.73 axle?? I am at wits end here. Searching on-line I see nothing to show anything better in mileage. I was thinking I'd at least be getting 16-18and was told the 5.7L HEMI MegaCab was on a 2500 frame and could tow 9000 - NOT SO (even though I read an article that the 2004 could tow 9300)!! This is for anyone wanting a Mega Cab HEMI - DON'T! It's can't pull anything and has horrible gas mileage. I know - if I wanted mileage get a toyota. But this isn't rocket science and the diesel whooped this Hemi in mileage, towing was almost doubled - wish I had that diesel back! Hope this warns someone before they get this Dodge nightmare. Now the 2009 is supposed to get better mileage and tow more. Of course! Now Memphis is about 300 feet, temps are in the 50s and terrain is basically level so I don't have any real hills. City driving is limited as I see the overhead go to 8-9 mpg! This is unreal![/align]

Old 03-16-2008, 09:56 PM
tlarimer

The towing capacity for a 2008 1500 MC 4x4 with the 5.7 is actually 8300lbs. I dont know why you guys are getting mileage that bad. Must be driving habits or elevation. I live at 6000ft, drive 5-7% inclines to and from work with a posted speed limit of 55mph for the first half of commute and 65mph for second half. The best I have seen with almost 9k on it now is 18.9MPG. I average around 16.9-17.1MPG though, that has been the hand calculated numbers for the last month. I run 91 octane and am bone stock. I get better than my friends 08 CTD MC 4x4, But worse than my other buddies 06 BH QC 4x4 CDT. I think it is comaparable for the time being, seeing as they are paying .63 cents more a gallon. That's around $22.00 more per fill up for an extra 102 miles. I will keep my Hemi, vs the $6k upgrade for the 2500 CDT. My .02 worth.

Old 03-16-2008, 10:44 PM
bwhite757
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: tlarimer

The best I have seen with almost 9k on it now is 18.9MPG. I average around 16.9-17.1MPG though, that has been the hand calculated numbers for the last month.
hmmmm.. Wow, that's amazing... So you get better mileage than my Quad cab... Either your math or odometer is off... Even the dealers told me the Megas are lucky to get 12 on the highway, and they were trying to sell me one...

Old 03-16-2008, 10:50 PM
tlarimer

Nope, Math and odometer are dead on, My epa was listed as 15 city, 17 hwy, your dealer must not know much about what they sell.......

Old 03-17-2008, 08:24 AM
Dragonrep
Amateur

I have an '06 Hemi MeagCab 2 wheel drive and get a bit over 13.5 city and around 16-17 freeway unloaded (unless I want to play a bit and it drops A LOT). I live in Florida, not much in the way of hills around here, pretty flat travelling. I've been very happy with it; rides great, very comfortable, fold down the rear seats and it makes a passable sleeping area. Maintenance seems to come quicker than most other brands though, I'm at 30,000 miles and due for 16 spark plugs as well as other items. I have the Infinity system, and I don't have a problem with it other than not as much bass as I am used to now.
I use my truck carrying heavy equipment parts around (excavator buckets, fork sets, ect.) and I have never had a problem with transmission heat or brakes BUT the more you load a gas engine the more fuel it drinks. A deisel would have been a better purchase for me.
I have friends with the Toyata and the Nissan. The Nissan seems to get the same mileage, the Toyota gets better but has had several recalls. My nissan friend says he wishes he had got the Dodge, my Toyota friend just cusses when I bring it up .

Old 03-17-2008, 08:32 AM
VA4MEDS
Veteran

ORIGINAL: ThaChad

1. diesel costs about $0.30 - $0.70 more per gal, but gets 2x the MPG (diesel has been cheaper than gas in the past, might happen again), so that would be like buying gasoline at 1/2 the price! You also get allot more power for towing.

2. are you actually calculating that MPG? or just using the overhead display?

3.There's no way on gods green earth you get 17mpg. I drove like a grandma, coasting to signal lights, running premium fuel, with my superchips in performance tune (suppose to get better MPG), and I have a undercover bed cover, but I still can't get over 13mpg.

4. Maybe your camper shell makes a difference, but I can't see 4-5MPG difference, unless you go down allot of hills coasting.

-TheChad
1. My Hemi was $9700.00 less than CTD at time of purchase. Diesel here is $.85 more per gal.

2. I'm doing the math myself.

3. Tires Nitrogen Filled 60F/70R, K&N CAI w/ AMSOIL Air Filter, All AMSOIL Fluids, E-Fan, Jet II, Flowmaster 50HD Single I/O W/O resonator, Bug shield, 91 Octane Chevron/Texaco Gas Only,Fairly flat roads around here.

4.I know my Topper helps but how much I don't know. I was an Owner/Operator of a big rig for 18 years and learned how to conserve fuel while driving. No I don't kick it in neutral and coast to the lights. But I do check far ahead while driving and 'play' the lights, traffic,etc.

Speed Safely,
AL

Quick Reply: 1500 mega cab questions