3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Shortys or Full length spark plug wires for hemi???

Old 02-06-2010, 06:22 AM
Beastro
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well with all the bitching that was done a the start. Still no one has just plain said the short wires, The long wires which ones for everyday driving.

Old 02-06-2010, 09:17 AM
BEAR
Record Breaker

Well, not to get in a pissin match with anyone but when I was lookin to replace my plug wires I did a lot of research on which would be better. I found all the answer I needed on BionicDodge. Go to the site and do a search on shorty wires, you'll find your answers. To just "plain say" the shortys are fine for everyday driving. It has been proven the you loose some hp with the shortys but from what I have read you would have to put it on a dyno to tell the difference it is so slight. For high performance apps the long wires have proven better. The guys who really "souped up" their engines always had to go back to the long wires to get enough spark.

Last edited by BEAR; 02-06-2010 at 09:23 AM.
Old 02-06-2010, 02:22 PM
Marx
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

from what i have learned about resistance and wiring from school it doesn't mater how long it is up to a point like 3-4 feet the loss is negligible it all about the type of wire and the way its packed in the casing so it wont lose energy
thats my $0.02

Old 02-06-2010, 02:34 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion

I have the 10ohm shorties on mine, cant tell any difference in both normal day-to-day driving and racing at the track.

Old 02-06-2010, 05:34 PM
Skywalker

Beastro, The shorty wires are going to do the same as what the 2006 and newer coils are doing "One coil per cilinder that is connected to both plugs without the sparkplug wire". The only reason I have the shorty wires is because they don't void any type of warranty "Like I still have one" and it just cleans up the top of the motor!

Old 02-06-2010, 05:53 PM
Fathead_03

A waste spark system is when in the spark plugs fire in pairs, on both the exhaust and compression strokes. The extra spark on the exhaust stroke has little effect and is thus "wasted". Actually a "wasted spark" is not wasted. This method of firing multiple spark plugs was implemented by many manufacturers as a way to reduce exhaust gas emissions and production costs. It reduces production costs by requiring less coil packs. For example: a V-6 engine would only need three coil packs instead of six, this is because an idividual coil fires two spark plugs at one time, one spark plug on a compression stroke (which is where the power comes from) and one spark plug in another cylender on an exhaust stroke, simultaniously. This method of "double firing" also reduces exhaust gas emissions because the spark plug that is fired during the exhaust stroke burns (or cleans up) remaining fuel left over from the previous combustion stroke before it has a chance to exit the engine through the tail pipe.

Old 02-06-2010, 06:15 PM
Skywalker

v6 only needs 3 coils? Dont know if thats right, because if that were so the Hemi would only need 4 in your forinstance! The new hemis dont have the waist spark I'm guessing because it didn't really help all that much. As for cleaning up the exaust isn't that what the catalitic converter is for?

Last edited by Skywalker; 02-06-2010 at 06:18 PM.
Old 02-06-2010, 07:36 PM
Fathead_03

Originally Posted by Skywalker
v6 only needs 3 coils? Dont know if thats right, because if that were so the Hemi would only need 4 in your forinstance! The new hemis dont have the waist spark I'm guessing because it didn't really help all that much. As for cleaning up the exaust isn't that what the catalitic converter is for?
If the hemi only used 8 spark plugs, that would be the situation, it would have 4 coils. Each coil would operate the plug its on, and one on the opposing side. But, being that a Hemi used 16 plugs, and only 8 coils, it is a type of wastespark system.

I stand corrected(although no one caught it), so I'll just state this. Not only does it fire on the top of the compression stroke, but it fires again on the downstroke, or power stroke.

The second ignition allows additional power in the down stroke while lowering the need for restrictive catalyst plates in the converter. As you may recall, in the 1980s Japanese manufacturers reduced unburned hydrocarbons by placing spark plugs either in the exhaust pipe (which fired with every piston ignition) or in the exhaust manifold (which fired each time their corresponding cylinder fired). Chrysler morphed this idea to include dual fired plugs on each cylinder, which allows the firing to take place closer to top dead center, and then again when the piston is on the back side of the power stroke.

Last edited by Fathead_03; 02-06-2010 at 07:39 PM. Reason: corrected misspellings
Old 02-06-2010, 08:46 PM
JoeHemi
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Even more interesting.

Old 02-06-2010, 10:31 PM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Does it really matter? This wacked out setup lasted a whopping 3 years before the FACTORY got rid of it and went to a single coil over 2 plug setup. In short: long wire retains wasted spark setup; short wire gets you as close to the later single coil setup as you can get without converting over. Pick one.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Shortys or Full length spark plug wires for hemi???