3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Shortys or Full length spark plug wires for hemi???

Old 02-07-2010, 12:58 AM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I think the MDS made it where you couldn't use the wasted spark set-up so instead of redesigning the head for 1 plug, then just fire them both at one time with a single coil pack.

Old 02-27-2010, 03:13 AM
treston17
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The "waste spark" does make a considerable difference, I found several articles testing the theory where they only replaced eight plugs at the 30K change over and left the other eight old plugs in to seal the compression while leaving the extra wire unplugged from the coils so they wouldnt fire the waste spark. The most noticeable difference was fuel economy, the highway 17 dropped to around 14 and emissions went so high they would have failed in California (which most solar energy cars would probably fail), point is horsepower isn't changed much but gas mileage and emissions are greatly affected. We all know dodge isn't known for great fuel economy which most likely explains why they implemented the waste spark system, the Japanese did use this idea in the exhaust but chrysler was smart enough to move the idea to the engine resulting in a more beneficial use for fuel economy and emissions.

Old 01-21-2013, 03:56 PM
mbehr55
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any mpg improvement with the shorty wires? That's all I need for my hemi.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Shortys or Full length spark plug wires for hemi???