3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2003 RAM SECURITY LIGHT ISSUE/NO START

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 09:40 PM
BROWN03
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 RAM SECURITY LIGHT ISSUE/NO START

Tried to start my 2003 ram today and as soon as i turned the key, the alarm went off and the factory light started to flash. i dont have a factory alarm installed. i removed the alarm, removed the battery cables for a while, and still nothing. No lights, no locks, no nothing on the dash. When I put the key in and turn the key, all i get is the security light. Checked the battery with a volt meter and it has 14.03 with out the power cable hooked up. Once I hook to positive cable up, the volts bounce from 9.5 to 13.3 on the battery. Also, I can here a ticking under the dsh when the security light blinks. ANY IDEAS PLEASE

Old 06-11-2008, 11:17 PM
ADNAJUB
Default RE: 2003 RAM SECURITY LIGHT ISSUE/NO START

same thing happened to me today , how did you fix this? wass the battery dead?

Old 06-12-2008, 02:31 AM
ADNAJUB
Default RE: 2003 RAM SECURITY LIGHT ISSUE/NO START

I found out my batery was dead. I installed my wife's car battery and it started up. Everthing was working ok. Hope this helps any of you gus with the same problem.

Old 08-15-2008, 02:16 PM
DodgeRam02
Default My 02 just did it

Originally Posted by BROWN03
Tried to start my 2003 ram today and as soon as i turned the key, the alarm went off and the factory light started to flash. i dont have a factory alarm installed. i removed the alarm, removed the battery cables for a while, and still nothing. No lights, no locks, no nothing on the dash. When I put the key in and turn the key, all i get is the security light. Checked the battery with a volt meter and it has 14.03 with out the power cable hooked up. Once I hook to positive cable up, the volts bounce from 9.5 to 13.3 on the battery. Also, I can here a ticking under the dsh when the security light blinks. ANY IDEAS PLEASE
Ya see that same thing happened just today for my self but I was in my truck, I put the key in the ign. and tapped it, and the truck almost turned. Then without thinking and letting the truck stop spinning I tapped it again and here I am, a Blinking Red light (stock light on dash), and a truck that don't start.

See I was unaware my truck even had an alarm. I mean I purchased a Key FOB from Dodge but never got it working.

Old 08-15-2008, 07:20 PM
MudSeasonVT

[QUOTE=DodgeRam02;1380529]Ya see that same thing happened just today for my self but I was in my truck, I put the key in the ign. and tapped it, and the truck almost turned. Then without thinking and letting the truck stop spinning I tapped it again and here I am, a Blinking Red light (stock light on dash), and a truck that don't start.

See I was unaware my truck even had an alarm. I mean I purchased a Key FOB from Dodge but never got it working.[/QUOTE

guy at work today told me that his 02' did the very same thing this morning. i thought it was quite odd. i came home and jumped into my 04' and i have the exact same problem. what is going on? i also noticed that this particular problem has happend to other members the same month for the past couple years. it can't be just a coincidence.

i hope some of you can shed some light on this for me. Thanks

Old 08-16-2008, 02:25 PM
DodgeRam02

I read a couple of threads and kind of deduced it to be my battery.

I pulled it out and had it tested at our local Exide Outlet Store and he said something like it only had 10 volts and under a load was putting out 0. A good battery should have at least 13.3 or better.

If you remember your old cars and truck the battery guage actually said 0 to 18, 13 being on the middle tick of the gage. Now a days people are to stupid to understand that so the put like PLUS or MINUS. Kind of the same reason you can't find Manual vehicles any more. I mean new ones anyway. People are too stupid to learn how to drive them or if you got a family, making those kids mind is more important.

Anyway enough ranting I guess, the problem is you battery to put it simply. At least it was mine. Take it to a local auto parts store and have it tested before you give 100 dollars for a battery like me. My battery was dead as a door nail though so I had no choice.

Oh and one piece of advice if you have to purchase a battery, more cranking amps ain't always better. I could have saved $10 but I would have lost around 100 cranking amps. I got the 5.9L 360 it needs what it can get maybe the smaller V-6 would be good with less but I bought what was in the truck originally.

Hope this helps, at least the battery stuff anyway

Old 09-13-2010, 10:13 PM
lee chan

2003 dodge ram 1500, the Security alarm light is blinking, and the truck will not start or do anything.????

Old 09-14-2010, 06:37 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by lee chan
2003 dodge ram 1500, the Security alarm light is blinking, and the truck will not start or do anything.????
This thread was created back in 2008. I think they got it fixed my now.

Nice first post you got there.

Welcome to the board.

Quick Reply: 2003 RAM SECURITY LIGHT ISSUE/NO START