3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

i am curious to ask

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 01:20 AM
sgratto96
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i am curious to ask

how much faster are the ram hemi's compared to the 4.7 dakota? both 4x4 with an auto tranny both stock. my truck will rhomp pretty good but more on the top end than the lower or mid. i know the ram is a little heavier but how much in comparison to power difference? this just crossed my mind and i thought i would bring it up. thanks!

Old 03-31-2008, 01:36 AM
HighDuke1911
Champion
Default RE: i am curious to ask

there was a post about 2-3 weeks ago about this... kinda. well, someone brought it up anyways. but they said they tried racing a manual 4.7L 4x4 dakota vs. a hemi and said that the dakota had no chance. hope that helps you out.

Old 03-31-2008, 01:56 AM
sgratto96
Rookie

ya that helps, i have never been in a hemi or drove one. but im sure they are torqey as well as fast

Old 03-31-2008, 01:59 AM
HighDuke1911
Champion

heh, yeah. everyday, it feels like my truck is gaining power. i fall in love with it more and more each day. do you plan on getting a hemi or a dakota or something? or do you have a dakota and just wondering if yours can keep up with a hemi if you tried racing? i bet if you did a couple simple mods you can keep up if not beat a hemi.

Old 03-31-2008, 02:08 AM
sgratto96
Rookie

ya i have a dakota 4.7 and i was just thinking out loud about a hemi but i owe $$ on my truck so i wouldnt be able to afford a hemi right now. i think i would have to go with a cummins or hemi for my next truck (depends on gas prices since the cummins gets better mpg). i dont race my truck only cuz i dont want to beat on it. how do you think the hemi engine/tranny hold up for most of you guys?....as far as abuse and longevity

Old 04-04-2008, 11:05 AM
Lonestar89

My friend has a 2005 Toyota Tacoma TRD SR5 Extended cab with their little v-6 in it (not sure what the liter is.) He has a throttle body spacer and a K&N air intake on it and wanted to line up with my Hemi when I got it. I put a Volant cool air induction system on mine and it's got the dual magnaflows on her so I accepted. We ran em and he walked away from me. The truck is so light and the power to weight ratio is amazing. The HEMI has a lot of truck to move. Idk how the Tacoma compares to the Dakota, hope this helps.

Old 04-04-2008, 12:33 PM
RamItOne

ORIGINAL: Lonestar89

My friend has a 2005 Toyota Tacoma TRD SR5 Extended cab with their little v-6 in it (not sure what the liter is.) He has a throttle body spacer and a K&N air intake on it and wanted to line up with my Hemi when I got it. I put a Volant cool air induction system on mine and it's got the dual magnaflows on her so I accepted. We ran em and he walked away from me. The truck is so light and the power to weight ratio is amazing. The HEMI has a lot of truck to move. Idk how the Tacoma compares to the Dakota, hope this helps.
dont forget a new tundra would spank the hemi as well.

oh no i hope i didnt start another war here. lol

Old 04-04-2008, 01:52 PM
daytona1680
Veteran

ORIGINAL: RamItOne

ORIGINAL: Lonestar89

dont forget a new tundra would spank the hemi as well.

oh no i hope i didnt start another war here. lol
That has been proven not to be completely true. It all depends who gets off the line first. The track times im seeing with these toyotas really isnt that impressive, average seems to be around 14.7-14.9 in the 1/4, reg cab hemis are close to that time and remember the hemi has close to a 100hp driveline loss..Im thinking toyota is claiming hp/tq # higher (like what GM did with the duramax a few yrs ago) than what they actually have, or they are limited powerwise until they are broke in (like the hemi is). Im still waiting for a tundra to line up with me, but no one around that has one dosn't seem to want to line up. Ive had a few beside me at redlights but they wont pull up to the line, lol.

Old 04-04-2008, 01:57 PM
daytona1680
Veteran

ORIGINAL: sgratto96

how much faster are the ram hemi's compared to the 4.7 dakota? both 4x4 with an auto tranny both stock. my truck will rhomp pretty good but more on the top end than the lower or mid. i know the ram is a little heavier but how much in comparison to power difference? this just crossed my mind and i thought i would bring it up. thanks!
My 02 ram had the 4.7 with all the HO stuff added onto, jet chip, cai, catback, and a few other mods. When I got the hemi there was big difference powerwise down low with the hemi, on the top end I would say they were pretty close. in the end I would still pick the hemi over it though..if you put the HO stuff on your 4.7 id bet you would be running with a hemi

Old 04-04-2008, 06:41 PM
sgratto96
Rookie

the tacoma is a 4.0 liter and makes the same hp as my truck (235) but much less torque being a v6. and the tundra might look fast and sound like it from toyota but dodge makes a more solid truck by far. seems toyota and nissan are building their full size trucks to imitate the ram and other makes but american made trucks are the way to go. what does the HO setup consist of? all i know about it the HO intake manifold

Quick Reply: i am curious to ask