3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Switched to Mobile 1

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 06:34 PM
nathan_e
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Switched to Mobile 1

At 9k I switched to Mobile 1 synth. That's not to early? I was wondering if there are any compairason sites for Mobile 1 and Royal Purlple. Or are all the synth's pretty much the same over converntional. I know brand loyalty runs high here and if I do switch off Mobile 1 it will be to royal Purple, but for the moment, the dealership carries Mobile 1, so there is a convienence factor involved. Unless RP has something that would make it worth my while to go out of my way to get it.

Old 03-31-2008, 06:39 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Switched to Mobile 1

I put M1 in at 3K.

RP is more hard to find that is for sure. If I decided to do RP I would buy off EBay.I think I found a 5 gallon jug for $125 shipped.

Is one better than the other? Can not say and do not want to start rumors without fact.

You also have to takes tests and look at who performs them. I only trust 3rd party tests.

Old 03-31-2008, 06:47 PM
toxdoc
Veteran

I really like Mobil 1 too along with the M-301 Filters; I do use Royal Purple in the differential.
You'll find many pushing Amsoil which is excellent too but Mobil 1 is convenient and good enough for me.

Old 03-31-2008, 07:07 PM
RamItOne

amsoil............................... www.amsoil.com

read the specs search the threads, nothing beats it, some come close. as for the "well i cant find it anywhere" just google amsoil dealer and your city and youll find some. plus you can order them and its not like you replace your oil that often.

Old 03-31-2008, 07:08 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I've been using Mobil 1 for over 15 years, not religiously (I've been known to take advantage ofreally good salesfrom time to time, as long as it was a name brand, full synthetic) but mostly. Usually with a Mobil 1 or Wix filter.

Did the first oil change on my Jeep Grand Cherokee daily driver about a month ago though, and tried Royal Purple in it with a Mobil 1 filter. The RP was actually buy one, get one free, making it about $1.25 a quart cheaper than the Mobil 1 I went in for.
The Jeep has been steadily getting about 1.5 mpg's better than before, but that's comparing it to whatever the Jeep dealership put in it when they got it. Might have to try RP in the truck when it's due in about six weeks. Of course, there is no way I'm gonna find it on sale then...[:@]

Old 03-31-2008, 07:10 PM
SeMiGoD
Record Breaker

Im gonna go syn myself but i want to wait for "break in" which, according to my dealer, is 10K mi. At the rate im goin it'll be another year.

Old 03-31-2008, 09:47 PM
nathan_e
Rookie

Did anyone who did switch to Mobile 1 noticew any bump in mpg's like RP seems to get?

Old 03-31-2008, 09:51 PM
manualagain
Professional

I couldn't wait and went to Mobil1 at 580 miles, no problems, no regrets.

Old 03-31-2008, 10:01 PM
manualagain
Professional

I know what you mean semigod, tomorrow marks the 4 month anniversery of putting my truck into service and I'm at 1870 miles, at this rate 10K will take me nearly 2 years. I was not about to wait that long before I started with a synthetic oil. So the first opportunity I had to have the oil changed after I hit the 500 mile mark I went for it. I can't say I saw any change in my mpg, but it did seem to run better, probably my imagination attempting to justify the expense!

Old 04-01-2008, 07:36 AM
VA4MEDS
Veteran

AMSOIL

Speed Safely,
AL

Quick Reply: Switched to Mobile 1