3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tire help Please

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 07:26 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: Tire help Please

ORIGINAL: 1 Big B

So of your subset of dataonly 3 trucks match our example. That is not a very big sample of the big picture. I'm only talking specificly about about the 35x12.5x17 size tire on Dodge trucks.

With that said the tire store I go to sells a little more than 1000 set of those tires in a year and lets say that 30% go on dodge trucks (~300). So if they have problems with 90% of them that is 270 sets of tires that folks may have problems with. Hopefully if someone does buy a set they are one of the 30 good sets. Granted this is not a big sample in the big picture but it should shed more confidence than 3.

I'm just sharing the information that I have frist hand knowledge of, where you are going off hear say. Maybe the tires you are getting in Georgia or Florida are out of a different factory than we get here in the Pacific NorthwestI don't know.What I do know isthat if you are expecting your truck to stay on the road after put a set of these on you might want to think about again before shelling out $1000 or more.

Just my .02 cents
B
Now I'm not looking for an argument, and I'm a HUGE Mickey Thompson/Dick Cepek fan, but the Toyo's have probably the strongest reputation of any tire made. I'm onsix Dodge truck forums and can't find another who has anything like the experience you had. Granted, I've never owned a set. But I've just scanned probably the biggest independant tire review site there is and can post links to dozens of Dodge owners with them in 35x12.5x17's.
I'm also not doubting your personal experience with them at all. Bad batch maybe, or poor install? Wouldn't be the first time someone didn't balance a tire correctly. I've been around large groups of 4x4 owners all my life and most people who've had Toyo's are as adamant about not using another brand, ever, as I am about Mickey's & Cepek's...

A couple examples:

"2003 dodge diesel - 35/12.50/17 - I would recommend this tires. They are super quiet for a MT. They are very good in snow. OK on ice Great offroad tire. 10ply tire! the best looking mt out there."

"Dodge 3500 Q/C 4x4 Diesel - 35" x 12.5" x 17" - Man these tires impressed me! 3500 km on Alberta's hiways and the roughest muddiest back roads guiding for moose. floated my heavy front end so well I got brave and took my heavy rig up a few logging trails into the clearcuts in the rain. I definatly love these tires, they are quiet, clean well, and the only 35" ten ply M/T tire on the market. after all this rough use they dont show any wear. "

"Dodge - 35. / 12.5 - SWEET TIRE"

"Dodge 1500 4x4 Best tires I have ever owned, have not tested in snow yet and have not had them for very long. I have used them in water/rivers/mud/climbing slippery hills and they work great."

NowI'm not trying to pull the wool over your eyes, not every review I've seen is perfect, some noise complaints and a couple gripes about harsh ride from the knobby tread and most gripe about the price,but I've yet to find anyone with the issue you had...

Quick Reply: Tire help Please