3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

superchips vs edge

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 07:09 PM
redram07
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default superchips vs edge

I currently have the 3815 on my 07 hemi, set to economy. Works great and I have no complaints or issues with it. However I have read the recent posts about people with the edge evolution on their truck. From what I gather both in the post and elsewhere on the internet, that the edge evolution may offer more options (aside from the guages) than the 3815, at least when it comes to the 07 hemi with the MDS. With the superchips I can only select a tune, however the edge looks like I could play more. Am I right in assuming this?? Has anyone tried one against the other?
Also, when you take it to the dealer, what do they say when they see the tuner sitting there mounted in the dash? I can remove the tune with the 3815 and keep it hidden under the rear seat.
Any help or further opinions would begreat. Depending on what response I get (and tax refund) I may have a 3815 up for sale.

Old 04-02-2008, 07:32 PM
chadrules
Rookie
Default RE: superchips vs edge

Nope, You can just pick the tune level. You can pick the data to be displayed but it does not include everything ODB2 can provide. You can also set an alarm for speed and water / oil / trans temp.

Old 04-02-2008, 07:42 PM
hugekikd 2007
Veteran

yea thats about all that you can do with it for now, they might come out with an update so you could do more but whoknows if they will.

Old 04-02-2008, 08:01 PM
EspoMan
Professional

I wish I could recommend this product, but I can't. I bought one for my 07 HEMI about 2 weeks ago. I still haven't been able to program anything!!! I get error code 27, which means that it cant write the files! I have called tech support about 5 times and they still can't get it working. They said that they will try to update it for me today, did it happen? NO! I am going to give them one last shot and going to return it and get the flashpaq. To much of a headache for $350

Old 04-02-2008, 09:03 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Dyno's still show the Superchips to have the best gains of all the "canned tune" tuners.
For more options and "tweaking" capabilities as well as "custom tunes" we are at the beginning of this next level with the new SCT tuner for the Hemi and the VERY LATE to hit the market Diablo Predator...

Old 04-03-2008, 01:16 AM
SmittyRN
Professional

I got a Superchips for my '08 Hemi last week. I really wanted to like it, I really did.... I could really feel the power when I got on the pedal. But when I took a trip over the weekend across the state, that MDS surge kept irritating me. It felt like it kept dropping in and out of gear when I was driving on flat, straightroad. You can't get much flatter and straighter than sections of Alligator Ally in Florida, and with the cruise control set @ 60, the surge was terrible. I came back on Interstate 75 running highway speeds and it was less noticable, but still there. Additionaly, it had some weird downshifts when I put the pedal to the floor at some speeds.

The drive back gave me plenty of time to think about it. I wondered if I could get used to the MDS surge. In the end, I figured that I might be able to, but combined with the strange downshifts, I shouldn't have to settle for something I'm not happy with, especialy for the price I had to pay for it. I ended up taking it back, but this leaves me with the stock programming for a while, since none of the other companies (that I know of) will work on an '08. I'll try something else when they come out with one for my truck.

Old 04-03-2008, 05:39 PM
redram07
Amateur

Thanks guys. Looks like Ill keep the superchip. Probably buy a bullbar now instead.

Quick Reply: superchips vs edge