3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tranny Rear seal leak

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 12:08 PM
Im3Good4U
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny Rear seal leak

Hey guys as the subject points out the rear seal on my transmission is leaking but the issue is i already changed that seal before when i bought my truck (bought at 47k now has 58). The seal is located at the end of the tranny right before the u-joints on the drive shaft. Has anyone experienced this? The leak is not much but its making a mess under my truck.

I put in an advance auto seal so maybe i should have gone with mopar. It easy to replace but i dont want to replace it if its going to leak again.

Share some light!

Old 04-04-2008, 12:31 PM
RamItOne
Default RE: Tranny Rear seal leak

the front of my tranny pan is leaking where the two meet. ive been too lazy to take it up to dodge, still got about 4K miles left on my warranty

its only leaked enough to get part of the pan wet, nothing touches the pavement.

have you tried cleaning the pan thouroughly and then checking to see how quickly it leaks. i think we have what like 16 quarts, so a few oz wont matter.

Old 04-04-2008, 01:09 PM
Horseapples
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pull the drive shaft and make sure there is no groove or rough spots on the input shaft. Lightly sand with emory cloth to completely clean surface. Use a quality seal and replace the old one. Lightly oil the new seal with tranny fluid before re inserting the drive shaft. Should solve your problem.

Old 04-04-2008, 07:53 PM
kristopher

I had the same problem with my F-150. Grab the driveshaft up by the slip yoke and see if it wiggles. There shouldnt bemuch play there. If there is(like my f-150) the there is a bushing issue in the extension housing. I never bothered fixing mine, just traded it in.

Quick Reply: Tranny Rear seal leak