3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hello all, new here, and thinking about a new Dodge

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 12:24 PM
Fish Chris
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello all, new here, and thinking about a new Dodge

I'm in the market for a new truck, as my poor old Toyota is just about flat worn out. Only 216,000 miles on it, but with "my kind of miles" that would be the equivalent of 300,000+

Anyway, this truck will be used almost exclusively for towing a small. light boat (about 1200 lbs, for boat, motor, and trailer). My 4 cylinder Toyota did okay.... but it certainly noticed the load ! On rare occasions when I unhitched the boat, to go get the oil in the Toyota changed, it felt like a race truck :-)

So anyway, I looked at new Toyota's.... but the 4 cyl (which I know from experience, barely cut it) was close to the same cost as a new, full sized Dodge Ram ST.... and the V6 (which would be a lot better, was WAY more expensive... like 7K more expensive than the Dodge !

But please keep in mind; I'm a poor guy who fishes way too much, and doesn't work enough, and gas is freaking killing me ! {of course my old, worn out Toyota 4 cyl, is only getting about 17 lousy MPG's as it is}.

So, I guess my million dollar question is, > 1) IF I pull my little light boat at a religious 59mph (I will add the cruise control option) 2) I have my mechanic friend put on a Flowmax exhaust system from day one, 3) ....is a PCchip exist which allows for economy driving ?

How close could I "actually get" to the 19mpg that Dodge claims ?

Anyone ?

Thanks very much in advance,
Fish

Old 04-05-2008, 01:01 PM
derricksmash
V6 Ram Moderator
Default RE: Hello all, new here, and thinking about a new Dodge

without your boat, you could easily get nineteen...especially if cruising at 59. with the boat, i'm not sure.

as for the full size ram st...i have one. it's a great truck. very powerful for a v6, but not very fast for a v6 (know what i mean?). if mileage is your concern, and since you're towing, get a manual trans for sure...and also, if you're a miles-per-gallon nitopicker, get cruise control out of your mind...it wastes 'more' gas. more as in like 3 drops...but yea. cc can't see hills coming ahead, but you can.

also, look into a dakota.

good luck man. i hope you go dodge, and i hope to see you on here.

Old 04-08-2008, 04:26 PM
cramerica
Record Breaker

1200 LB's will be no problem for a V6. I also 2nd the manual...it has several close ratios that will help towing. I have a V6 dakota that probably can squeak out another 1 or 2 MPG over a Ram because of weight and aerodynamics.

Old 04-09-2008, 12:49 PM
eltupac
All Star

I agree, get a dakota if all you do is fishing. Ram V6 gets a much mpg as V8. Dodge is f'ing liar, 19mpg my ****. I never got 19, actually, I bought mine when the damn sticker said 21 hwy. Highest was 18 and I was babying it. So, good luck in your decision. Yeah, the truck is very nice looking, but looks is half of it, ya know. Its like getting a good looking, dumb *** woman. You show her off to your friends, but you dont let her open her mouth.

Old 04-09-2008, 02:05 PM
XxSilentHawk99xX
Captain

+1...The V6 Dodge Ram is nice for what it is...but at full size, it makes no sense to have such a small engine in such a big vehicle. A Dakota would be the smarter choice...Good luck

Old 04-10-2008, 01:17 AM
derricksmash
V6 Ram Moderator

u could always get a taurus

Old 04-10-2008, 11:50 AM
XxSilentHawk99xX
Captain

LOL