3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Blue smoke

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 09:58 AM
rammex
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blue smoke

I have a 2006 Dodge Ram with 4.7 V8. It has been blowing blue smoke when starting, dealership has changed PCV valve and heads and seals stopped smoking for about a week and started doing it again. Before anything was done it would burn a quart of oil a week now burning almost half a quart a week. i have noticed that when oil is low it smokesmore but whenfull it doesnt smokethat much.I have another appointment to take it intomorrow and theyare going to take engine compleatly out. Does anyone have any ideas what might be the problem.

Old 04-14-2008, 09:30 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker
Default RE: Blue smoke

Could be bad oil rings on some of the pistons...but it sounds like valve seals. Which seals did they replace?

Old 04-15-2008, 12:13 PM
rammex

They replaced Heads and the valve seals, service manager did say that they are going to look at the oil rings. hopefully thats what it is, sucks cause a bought it back on Feb 15th and only been able to drive it two weeks since then. Guess thats what i should have expected when buying it used. Whats good is that they have been working on it at no charge and its not under warranty, andalsogiving me somthing to drive. it might be that i had just bought it or that Arkansas has the Lemon Law.

Old 04-17-2008, 05:12 PM
rammex

Called dealership, they found two bad cylinders. THey said they would call me back tomorrow or early next week and tell me what they have to order for it. They also told me that they should have it done next week.

Quick Reply: Blue smoke