3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Overdrive in, all the time ? can it be done ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 05:17 PM
itsmejto
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overdrive in, all the time ? can it be done ?

We all know the dodge Hemi (2003 1500 auto) is not a real gas miser, so ...............
I'm thinking perhaps the overdrive can be made to engage all the time and greatly improve gas milage at lower speeds when the transmission shifts seem to hang onto gears way too long.
Anyone done this or have an opinion how to, or why not to do it ?
I realize it will be high geared all the time but ........... !!!! save gas ?

Old 04-16-2008, 05:53 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Overdrive in, all the time ? can it be done ?

Overdrive is just the last gear in the stack --0.67:1. If you tried to start out at that gear ratio, you'd overheat the tranny big-time. It isn't like the Corvette of years ago which had an overdrive for three of the top gears. I see you have dual alternators -- I'd like to see some pics of that and some idea what it takes to accomplish it.

Old 04-17-2008, 12:21 AM
itsmejto
Amateur

Hmmm, I was thinking the overdrive was a seperate set of gears, with an electrical signal to initiate it, in the tail piece on the ram ?
Not wanting to change the subject here, but her'es a link to the dual alternators. Google "iraggi alternators"
Heres photos of mine, it was simple really, just a couple short brackets, replacement idler, aditional idler, sperate regulator and a longer belt.
Oh, and a slight extension to the radiator hose behind em. Wiring is up to your taste or setup. Mine charges all batteries with a high power FET isolator to the starting battery and smaller alternator pulleys to allow 250amps at idle and 420 amps at 1200rpm. Cost was about 600.00 including second high output alternator. Don't mount the regualtor on the air filter box as in my photos, it got too hot and blew out, mount it front of the starting battery on top of the fusebox for much better cooling.
http://s78.photobucket.com/albums/j1...l-alternators/

Old 04-17-2008, 06:56 AM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great job on the alternators. No problem with mounting the regulator on the air box -- Mine's not there anymore

Old 04-17-2008, 06:03 PM
05Redram
Professional

Yea, you probly wouldn't be able to move at all from a stand still in OD.

Quick Reply: Overdrive in, all the time ? can it be done ?