3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Possible rad leak?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 11:05 AM
madmat
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible rad leak?

I was wondering if anybody can help me, I've got a 2003 ram 1500 hemi 4x4 with about 122 000kms and at the 120000km sevice i had to add coolant (the first time since new). I was doing some work under the hood the past couple evenings and i noticed steam coming from the top of my rad(the engine was still hot from the drive home), while looking a little closer i could hear a slight hissing noise, i cant see where it's comming from and i can't see any leaks or puddles! Any suggestions would be great. I was also told if it is a small leak i can try putting silver stallion into my rad.(Is this a good idea or is there something better i can do other than replacing the whole rad) Also if anybody has replaced their rads how much did it cost?

I also noticed about every 10 min or so i could hear sort of a burping noise, i think it was comming from the rad cap?!?

Old 04-17-2008, 11:22 AM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Possible rad leak?

The burp is from the ricer it ate on the way home. Personally, I've never had an issue using a radiator leak stopper. I've used "Bars Leaks" many times. I think there are several posts here advising against them, though. Could this be the A/C hissing? My Ram and my 300 do that after shut down when using the A/C. If it's a coolant leak, it would have to be pretty small to see no steam and have no puddles of coolant.

Old 04-17-2008, 11:49 AM
madmat
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The hissing sound is coming from about 4 inches from the top of the rad, the steam that i see is coming directly above that.(I can only see it when a light is shinning through above the rad)

Old 04-17-2008, 12:32 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oops. Yep, sounds like there's a pin hole in the plastic tank. Again, I've never had a problem with Bar's Stop Leak. Guess you could start visiting some junk yards in the area if you don't want to risk the stop leak fix. The last time I trooped around a junk yard, there were NO newer-model Dodge trucks.

Quick Reply: Possible rad leak?