3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Need wiring diag. for the LED ashtray MOD

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 12:28 PM
satansfx
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need wiring diag. for the LED ashtray MOD

https://dodgeforum.com/m_903819/tm.htm

Post shows a factory wiring harness... However my 2003 1500 doesnt have this harness there... so I had to rig it up another way, and I think that is giving me problems with getting a shock everytime I get out of my truck now..

So does anyone have that wiring diag? so I can then tap into the correct wires?

Old 04-17-2008, 12:43 PM
Horseapples
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Need wiring diag. for the LED ashtray MOD

Your wiring is not whats shocking you when you exit your truck. It is static electricity thats doing that. The weather can have A lot to do with that. On cool, windy days with little or no humidity static electricity can build quickly. I have a pair of shoes that does that to me also. Every time I wear that pair of shoes i get the crap knocked out of me by static.

Old 04-17-2008, 01:24 PM
satansfx

I get out of my truck before I do the MOD.... no static discharge/shock... install the MOD, where I had to ground one of the legs of the LED to the chassis, and I go to get out and I get shocked....

im still wearing the same shoes, and it's not wet, nor has the weather changed....

ad it's not just me... my kid, same thing.... my g/f.... same thing.... whoever gets out first, and touches the ground and the door first gets the discharge....

Old 04-17-2008, 03:39 PM
MikeHTally
Champion

This is low-current DC. The shock you're getting is not from your ashtray light. What circuit did you use for the LEDs?

Old 04-17-2008, 03:58 PM
satansfx

the dimmer circuit from the HU and a chassis ground

Old 04-17-2008, 06:01 PM
MikeHTally
Champion

Hmmm. Definitely low-current. There's gotta be some sort of higher-current INTERMITTENT charge somewhere. 'Bout the only thing on a car that'll pop you hard is a spark plug, and brudda, they'll light you up. That's because the power comes and goes and is probably around 50KV in modern cars. The battery can burn the heck outa ya if you get metal across both poles. Maybe HID lights can thump you pretty hard, I don't know. Maybe you can go back into the dash and be sure there's no harness for the lamps. What trim level is your truck?

Quick Reply: Need wiring diag. for the LED ashtray MOD