3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Ceramic Headers versus Black Painted Headers

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 05:23 PM
koonz99
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ceramic Headers versus Black Painted Headers

So I'm getting a set of hedman ceramic headers installed on my dodge 1500 2006 and the muffler shop calls me to inform me that one of the new headers had a leak and that they wouldn't be able to get a new set in for 3 or 4 days. The only alternative I had wasto go with the cheaper black painted headers instead seeing as I need my vehicle for work. I'm just wondering if anyones had any problems with them. Thanks

Old 04-18-2008, 05:37 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Ceramic Headers versus Black Painted Headers

Stick with the ceramics---you'll be happy you did

Old 04-18-2008, 08:54 PM
killerbud420
Veteran

ORIGINAL: koonz99

So I'm getting a set of hedman ceramic headers installed on my dodge 1500 2006 and the muffler shop calls me to inform me that one of the new headers had a leak and that they wouldn't be able to get a new set in for 3 or 4 days. The only alternative I had wasto go with the cheaper black painted headers instead seeing as I need my vehicle for work. I'm just wondering if anyones had any problems with them. Thanks
yea i got black painted headers from pacesetter an there onley black for about 30mins or so

Old 04-18-2008, 09:39 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

It'sa bad sign when brand new headers have a leak...it's probably coming from a weld pointtoo. Pacesetter makes good headers especially for the money...just FYI.

Oh yea and defiantly go coated (lasts longer, contains heat better)...having them jet hot coated inside and out is even better.

Old 04-19-2008, 10:48 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Painted headers paint lasts tillthey heat up. The the pipes will get you about a year, maybe two at the most.
Ceramic will last usually last the life of the vehicle. It's not the first I've heard about crappy quality control on Headman welds.
I've got the Pacesetters and couldn't be happier. I got mine custom ceramic coated, but have heard good things about their Jet Hot coating...

You really need to have them get those black painted steel ones off. They will not last!!!

Quick Reply: Ceramic Headers versus Black Painted Headers