3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

f'in a cotton......

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 05:06 PM
FSUHEMI
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default f'in a cotton......

so it looks like i will be going on to my 3rd auburn diff since i blew the stock rear less than a year ago. the mechanic just called and said it was the same as last time, a broken carrier spring housing. im really pissed. they said i should go ahead and replace the axle seals and bearings to make sure that isnt part of the problem. the diff is under warrenty still so it should be swapped out, but my mechanic is going to try and get a refund so i can go with a different company. And to put the icing on the cake, apparently i have to have my tie rods reaplced because im leaking some kind of fluid somewhere, i was so angry at that point in the conversation that i stopped listening. All in all they quoted me at just under $1000......[:@]

Old 04-21-2008, 05:16 PM
bigskycowboy
Default RE: f'in a cotton......

Is it a five star dealership?

Old 04-21-2008, 05:20 PM
08sxt

I am stumped at the part about replacing tie rods because something is leaking fluid.....Do you know this guy pretty well? From that description about the tie rods it almost sounds like he is trying to get some extra cash out of you.

Old 04-21-2008, 05:26 PM
FSUHEMI
Rookie

i bought it used from tallahassee DCJ, they are a 5-star dealership, but it wasnt certified pre-owned and i've been taking it to an independent mechanic because the truck is no longer under warrenty. just talked to the mechanic again and the front end problem is the inner tie rod has a lot of play and the rack and pinion is leaking fluid

Old 04-21-2008, 05:33 PM
08sxt

Oh ok, that clears it up some. I took your post as the tie rods had to be replaced because something was leaking on them, my bad.

Old 04-21-2008, 05:59 PM
FSUHEMI
Rookie

so i've been thinking, im not really making the connection between my diff breaking and my mechanic wanting to reaplce the seals and bearings. i have no vibration or clicking in the rear and im not leaking fluid, and as far as the rack and pinion isn't leaking either, i've never had to put any power steering fluid in my truck, and there has never been any leakage on the ground where i park. I talked to another mechanic friend of mine and when i told him the situation, he asked if the diff was the auburn offroad or the auburn street/strip.... he said if i have the street/strip in there, not only is my mechanic a dumbass, but he said the springs may be too tight to allow the diff to distribute power and that could be causing my problem.

Old 04-21-2008, 06:24 PM
08sxt

If it were mine, I would get another mechanic to take a look at it. I don't see a correlation between a wheel seal or axle bearing and the diff continually breaking either. I mean if that stuff really is worn out/leaking/broken then your mechanic shouldn't have any issues with someone else verifying that. People get scammed by shotty repair places everyday, you are just trying to keep from paying for a bunch of parts and labor that you might not need.

Old 04-22-2008, 06:45 PM
FSUHEMI
Rookie

so i've informed my mechanic that he will only be swappin out my diff. he is going to try and get a refund through auburn since this would be my 3rd diff through them and he has suggest i go with a detroit diff. im waiting on a call back with a specific part number but his wife, who works at the shop, told me it was not the true track, but it was gearless, with a worm gear. i've never dealt with detroit but i know they are a good brand. anyone one has any opinions on them? good/bad, or can anyone narrow down what models i may be looking at? thanks guys

Old 04-22-2008, 08:08 PM
oefootball_70
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i know a lot of guys are using the true trac on here

Old 04-22-2008, 08:47 PM
yellow46gt

Should have gone with a detroit tru trac. The auburns suck, that about all they are known for.