3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Electrical Problem need help

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2005, 12:21 PM
Skeeter
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical Problem need help

My instrument panel is completely dead. All of the guages are dead. It started off as the engine light on. Then it progressed until all were dead and all warning lights are on. All of my steering controls (horn, wipers, cruise, and radio) do not work. The lights came on and will not go off until the truck is shut off. The code that shows where the OD is reads "no buS" or "no bu5". Any ideas? This is a 2004 1500 QC 4x4 SLT with Hemi. I only have 13k miles on it. The truck runs fine but it is difficult driving with no guages. Plus if it rains I am SOL.

Old 01-10-2005, 07:23 PM
Beastmaker
Rookie
Default RE: Electrical Problem need help

[sm=jawdrop.gif]

Old 01-10-2005, 07:53 PM
Skeeter

Yeah, tell me about it. I forgot to mention it is not consistent. If it sits over night it is fine until it runs for about 20 minutes then the gremlins start screwing stuff up. I called the service guy at the dealership and just so you know "no buS" or "no bu5" is the worst error you can get. Wow! WHAT LUCK I HAVE!! It could take 30 minutes to fix or days. Guess what no loaner cars from them! But I can get a rent a car at $30 a day! You know I don't ask for much. If I pay $35k for a vehicle, I want the dang thing to WORK PROPERLY A YEAR AFTER I HAVE BEEN DRIVING IT!!! Is that to much to ask?

Old 01-10-2005, 09:20 PM
whitelight
Professional

Damn...fusible link overheating? I'd just take it in and let them figure it out. Just cuz its new doesnt mean it ws perfect.

Old 01-11-2005, 12:37 PM
Skeeter

Did that this morning! Just my luck that the electrical guy quit last Friday. So I could leave it there and let some other guys look for it and take longer or take it somewhere else. Had to leave it cause no where else would get me to work and I am to fat and lazy to walk 20 miles to work!!

Old 01-11-2005, 07:11 PM
stupidface
Professional

somebody else on a forum had mentioned the same problem about a year ago turns out the computer went bad on it, but i do recall the guy talking about the no bus signal, which i think is something like a signal is sent to the computer brain of ur vehicle and the brian doesnt repond back causing it to malfunction, dont quote me on it though, that does suck about paying top dollar(for the truck) for a bottom dollar problem(damn cpu)

Old 02-09-2006, 11:00 PM
jrsidhu

I POSTED AN EARLIER MESSAGE ABOUT THE DASH CUTTING OUT AND THE IDIOT LIGHTS COMING ON MY 2004 DODGE RAM 1500 HEMI SLT. IT HAS BEEN IN AND OUT OF THE DEALERSHIP ABOUT EIGHT TIMES. 3 PCM'S AND 2 ANTITHEFT MOUDULES LATER IT STILL WASN'T FIXED. SO THEY REPLACED THE INSTRUMENT CLUSTER. IT SEEMS TO BE WORKING NOW. THANK GOD FOR THE WARRENTY. CLUSTER ITSELF COST $700+ DOLLARS!!

Old 02-15-2006, 12:53 AM
jrsidhu

WELL IN RESPONSE TO MYSELF....THE INSTRUMENT CLUSTER REPLACEMENT DIDN'T WORK EITHER. SO I TOOK IT UPON MYSELF TO FIND THE PROBLEM. AND GUESS WHAT..... I FOUND IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IT WAS THE TILT STEERING ASSEMBLY AT THE BOTTOM OF THE STEERING COLUMN ( CAN SEE IT THROUGH A SMALL SQUARE OPENING ON THE STEERING COLMN COVER).
THERE WAS A BUNDLE OF WIRES RUBBING AGAINST THE ROUND WHITE PIECE OF THE TILT STEERING COLUMN. IT HAD SAWED THROUGH THE WIRES AND WAS SHORTING OUT THE GAUGES. I JUST TAPED IT UP AND ZIP STRAPPED WHERE THEY WERE RUBBING ( PROTECTION) AND IT HAS SEEMED TO BE PROBLEM FREE SINCE.

Old 02-26-2006, 08:30 PM
chickenbag

I just had that problem myself with the same no bus bull****. I took it to the dealership and they told me it was a common problem with the newer dodges. You have one or two electrical boxes getting wet and shorting out the water was getting into mine from a leak at my passenger side pillar and one in the dash they sealed up the leaks and dryed out the two boxes (sorry i dont remember what they were called) and filled them with a waterproof grease and resealed them and I havent had a problem since.

Quick Reply: Electrical Problem need help