3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

8-10 MPG! HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 09:16 PM
vonryanexpress
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 8-10 MPG! HELP!

Hey everybody,

I need some help. I own a 2004 4X4 Dodge Ram 1500 4.7L. My modifications are single-in dual-out Flowmaster 50 series exhaust and a Mopar Cold Air Intake. Prior to installing the intake, I was getting around 11-14 MPG city, then after installing the intake I noticed that my MPG dropped to 8-10 MPG! I thought if I got an intake I my engine would take in more colder and dense air resulting in better gas combustion and gas milage, but that doesn't seem to be the case. This sucks really bad because gas prices are incredibly high at the moment and I can't afford to have 8-10 MPG. Since this happened after installing the intake, did I install the intake wrong? Did I **** up a sensor or something? Could it be that the tubes aren't fully sealed? HELP DODGE FORUM!

Old 04-27-2008, 09:53 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 8-10 MPG! HELP!

If it hasn't thrown any codes, you may want to reset the PCM. Pull the fuse, get in the truck, close the door, put the belt on. Turn the key to run (NOT start), and wait for the chimes to stop. Put the fuse back in an' start 'er up. She may not start immediately, so don't panic if that happens. Try to start it again, it should fire right up. Reset the O/H console (remember -- that thing isn't very accurate), and check it on the route you used earlier. Sometimes it can take some miles for the computer to learn the new hardware.

Old 04-27-2008, 10:57 PM
mmstar23
Champion

when you say pull the fuse....what fuse exactly are you talking about? i know disconecting the battery resets it...but what fuse are you talking about.

thanks

Old 04-27-2008, 11:13 PM
vonryanexpress

Yeah, what fuse are you talking about? and this will help my gas milage?

Old 04-27-2008, 11:16 PM
mmstar23
Champion

i dont know what fuse he's talking about but i think you do need to reset the pcm...i do that by disconnecting my battery. reset the pcm whenever you mod to let the engine know what it has and learn how to drive afterwards. that should help

Old 04-27-2008, 11:21 PM
vonryanexpress

Hey, would you happen to know what that sensor that connects inside the cold air intake means? I think it has to do with the temperature of the air coming in or amount of air coming in? If that's not reading right do you think that could be the problem for my gas milage?

Quick Reply: 8-10 MPG! HELP!