3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

HELP with Rear locking Diff & 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 06:54 PM
ThaChad
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP with Rear locking Diff & 4x4

Hey All,

OK here's the problem. Next to my house is a big drainage ditch that the whole neighborhood drans to, which leads down to a small creek behind my house. I was mowing, and my riding mower got stuck in the mud. Which is understandable since it's got turf tires and not made for driving in the mud.

So I said Hey! I got a 4x4 truck with Rear locking Diff That should be NO PROBLEM to pull a little 400 lb mower out of the mud!

So i backed my 06' Ram 1500 4x4 MegaCab into the ditch, got out hooked up a tow line to the mower, and got back in (Still in 2wd), I put the truck back in drive, Guess what? The only tire that spins is the one that is stuck! So much for locking diff huh?

No Problem, Its a 4x4! So I put it in 4x4, and push on the gas, Gues what? The only tire that spins is the front tire that is stuck! This is maybe 1' deep mud, and that's only after the tire sank into it. So By all means its not even serious Off roading!

I am VERY dissapointed right now, I have to call a tow truck to yank my truck and mower out of the ditch, as now the tires are barried up to the center caps. I mean seriously, I might as well have a 2x4 with no locking diff, because this is no better.

Should I be calling Dodge about this? I mean obviously the rear locking diff isn't working, or the other rear tire would spin as well, not just the one that doesn't have traction! and in 4x4 mode, obviously 4 tires arn't spinning either.

Thanks,

-TheChad

Old 05-01-2008, 07:16 PM
07hemipower
Default RE: HELP with Rear locking Diff & 4x4

did you try appling slight brake pressure while giving it gas, that should get both back tires to turn at the same time. as for the front it is not a posie-track so only one tire will spin anyways. sorry to hear about being stuck i had the same situation once but i was in a mud pt and useing the brake helped a little

Old 05-01-2008, 07:17 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might wanna take a squint at the sticker on the glovebox door. I'd have to wonder about that rear diff. It may not have the LSD you think it has. There is an old saying. Not sure this is verbatim, but: "Four wheel drive is just there to get you more stuck!"

Old 05-01-2008, 08:37 PM
ThaChad
Professional

ORIGINAL: MikeHTally

You might wanna take a squint at the sticker on the glovebox door. I'd have to wonder about that rear diff. It may not have the LSD you think it has. There is an old saying. Not sure this is verbatim, but: "Four wheel drive is just there to get you more stuck!"

Oh Trust me. The second I relyized that only 1 of the rear tires was spinning, I opened the glove box and pulled out the window sticker. It says, and I quote "Anti-Spin Differential Rear Axle"

I made SURE it had that before I bought the truck!

I got rid of a '00 Chevy Silverado 4x2 because I had to have my in-laws Nissan Titan 4x4 pull us out 4 times 1 winter, Now I got a Dodge 4x4, and STILL have to have the Nissan Titan 4x4 pull us out. It must be a cold day in Hell today, as the Import Nissan Titan has proved to be a better truck than the top 2 American Made Truck manufacturers!

-TheChad

Old 05-01-2008, 11:13 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

The stock LSD on the Ram is a finicky sucker. You need to apply the brake slightly while giving it a little gas and it should activate the LSD.
Next time you've got a spare $400 to $500 laying around, invest in an Auburn or TruTrac and you won't have that issue happen again. Unfortunately, the front diff on your truck is open, and there is nothing you can do about it with an IFS front, but that's no different with any manufacturer whether it be Dodge, Chevy, Nissan, etc...

Old 05-02-2008, 12:38 AM
KrazyBrian
Professional

ORIGINAL: HammerZ71

the front diff on your truck is open, and there is nothing you can do about it with an IFS front, but that's no different with any manufacturer whether it be Dodge, Chevy, Nissan, etc...
That isn't entirely true, you could weld the spider gears up into a posi, theres still a normal differential case up there just with ultra short tubes with CV's sticking out of them, but say goodbye to your steering if you lincoln lock it

Old 05-02-2008, 01:00 AM
abarmby
Champion

Yep.........our 4X4 Dodges are really 3X4's ha ha.
Now if our IFS 1500's had the option of locking front diff's..............that would be a whole different kettle of fish.
BTW, the the brake tip mentioned earlier really works.
Al

Old 05-02-2008, 01:25 AM
ThaChad
Professional

Thanks for the replys guys. I didn't try the brake thing, I just assumed it would lock up when it started to slip. I guess I assumed it would work correctly!

As for IFS, Mine is a MegaCab, So it's built on the 2500 Frame. Its a solid Front axel. I might just have to have LSD installed in the front, and upgrade the rear.

If I did have an LSD installed in the front, and upgreaded the rear, then in 4x4 mode, I should have true Limited slip right? As in, If 2 out of 4 wheels loose traction, only the 2 wheels that have traction would spin? That is the true 4x4 setup right?

Does $500 get the upgrade LSD installed, or just the parts?

-TheChad

Old 05-02-2008, 07:29 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

An ideal setup with your solid front axle would be to put a true locker in the rear (ie: Detroit Locker) and an LSD such as the Detroit TruTrac in the front. It'd be killer in the muck and yet the LSD front would handle real well on pavement also. Another year or two and I'm selling my '04 1500 and getting a 2500 (hopefully a CTD, if the $ is there) just for the front axle and I'm either going to that setup or air lockers front & rear.
My Grand Cherokee Overland has electronic lockers front & rear and the Quadra Drive 4x4 system. I wish I had more control over the 4x4 & lockers as the whole thing is automatic, but even with the cheazy soccer mom tires, it can get in & out of everyplace the truck goes. Sadly, if it wasn't for the ground clearance of my truck, the Jeep, with proper meats, would be way more off-road worthy...

The $400-500 I mentioned earlier would be for the lsd only, Aurburn Gear LSD's usually run near $400 and Detroit TruTrac's run close to $500...

Old 05-02-2008, 08:26 AM
KrazyBrian
Professional

well it's a pretty coin to have a locker installed (Usually about $400, make sure you have somebody that knows wtf they are doing with the gear install)

Heres a link to some of the available lockers for the 9.25
http://www.ringpinion.com/PartsList....b-Differential
the lock right won't fit in your LS carrier, so you are pretty much stuck with a full case locker

Quick Reply: HELP with Rear locking Diff & 4x4