3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Transmission, Will this fit ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 12:40 PM
shadow kennels
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission, Will this fit ?

Hello

I would like to know, my 2002 Dodge Ram 5.9l (Gas) has a 46RE transmission 4 speed automatic.
Can I swap/change to the newer 45RFE four/five-speed automatic on my truck ?
If so, is it a straight swap or will I need some extra parts ?
Thanks.
Zoi

Old 05-04-2008, 07:53 PM
ivaskaj
Veteran
Default RE: Transmission, Will this fit ?

I'm sure it's not a direct bolt in. It is probably not the same length, so you will need a new driveshaft. It probably uses a different bellhousing bolt pattern, so you would have to make a custom adapter. Then there is the matter of the computer controls for it. you would need to get a computer from a 5spd auto truck and wire it up somehow, or see if anyone makes a stand-alone computer for it. Oh, and a custom crossmember would probably be needed. You would be better off having your stock one built so it won't keep blowing up all the time.

Old 05-05-2008, 12:23 AM
shadow kennels
Rookie
Default RE: Transmission, Will this fit ?

Oh I have no real problems with my tranny, but thanks for the advice, as for the answer to my dilemma ?
Thanks, I just wanted to know, (a tranny was for sale and wanted to know if it was able to buy one that was being sold as a,
"spare."
Thanks.
Zoi

Quick Reply: Transmission, Will this fit ?