3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

window trouble RESOLVED

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 03:04 PM
mmstar23
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default window trouble RESOLVED

im in need of help and i cant figure it out. my driverside rear window hasnt worked for a while. so today i tried to fix it. it goes up and down just fine with the driver window controls, which means theres power and everything going to it. the only way it doesnt work is from the switch on the driver side rear window. and its not a bad switch because i took the switch from the passanger side and it does nothing, i took the switch from the driverside and put it on the passager and it works. so the switch is fine. i cant figure out why the switch on the door isnt working. power is going to it because i can roll it down with the driver controls. just the back door switch doesnt make it go down.

please help guys.

Old 05-04-2008, 03:15 PM
SeMiGoD
Record Breaker
Default RE: window trouble

Your not getting power to the switch in the rear. You're gonna have to trace it out til ya find the bad spot in the wire.

Old 05-04-2008, 05:39 PM
mmstar23
Champion

so just go through all the wires leading to the switch? i believe its a yellow wire which is the power....just im gonna have to go through the whole line of wires to find a cut in it or something...what a b!tch thats gonna be!

Old 05-04-2008, 05:46 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Yup, I'd agree. Ifyou can control it from the front and a known good switch still won't work there, then you gotta have a bad wire.

Old 05-04-2008, 06:02 PM
mmstar23
Champion

can it be any wire? or is there a certain color i should look for? there was a yellow wire that went to the truck, a red wire w/ white stripe that went to the truck and a blue wire w/ a white stripe that went to the truck, then there was a blue w/ black and a red with black that went to the door which i think went to the window motor and the door lock. so i think i gotta look at the first 3 wires i said and find something wrong in those. i just think its weird how the wires seem to be fine and power goes to the motor and lock, but the damn switch doesnt work.

Old 05-04-2008, 06:06 PM
RamItOne

This would never be an issue for me as my tall *** has my back rest 4-6 inches in front of the rear seat so there's no way someone can sit there. If it was reversed where you couldn't control it from the drivers seat then I'd dick with it, but if its gonna be a pita I wouldnt think its worth it. Anyone think maybe the kiddie lock switch is screwed up and not allowing it to work on that window?

Old 05-04-2008, 06:15 PM
mmstar23
Champion

its not the kiddy lock ****, because a while back you could punch the b!tch and the light would flicker on, pretty much guarantee-ing a bad connection somewhere on the wire. but ya, for the back seat, the first choice would be the passanger side, but im 6'1 ish and someone could sit in the back behind me just fine

Old 05-04-2008, 06:18 PM
ivaskaj
Veteran

Might be the ground, too. Get a test light or multimeter and see if the power wire is hot. If it is, then check the ground wire instead.

Old 05-04-2008, 06:29 PM
kenihemi
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could be a little corrosion in the driver's door swithes (probably the kiddie lock button) that is blocking the power from going to the back door switch. When you use the front door switch to run the back door, it doesn't go through the back door switch.

That is not that hard to take out and verify.

Do all the windows work with their own switches?

Old 05-04-2008, 09:57 PM
mmstar23
Champion

well....im not exactly sure what the problem was, must have been a bad connection somewhere, but i played with the wires and took all the tapeing off and re-wrapped everything up and it works now. i wrapped it all up and stuck it back in the doors and got it back to the way it was, probally better than factory. but it works now. i just have to put my door panel on tomorrow. thanks for the help, but the doors fixed now

Quick Reply: window trouble RESOLVED