3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

oil

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 04:20 PM
herring_jerritt
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil

im being lazy and dont want to go out to my truck to check so can anyone tell me of the top of there head how much oil the hemis hold, and im switching to synthetic oil tomarrow cause my truck hit 90k, i have heard realy great things about mobil1 and AMS, i would love to hear yalls input on this, thanx

Old 05-04-2008, 04:26 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: oil

The Hemi is seven quarts. All oil gets dirty at the same rate, so it needs to be changed at the same rate. Your call... $2/qt or $5+/qt.

Old 05-04-2008, 04:42 PM
RamItOne

Thats horse****, when I drain amsoil at 7k, it looks better than any dead lizzards do at 3k, I've still got 5k more till I hit 10k miles and then I'll change it, I'll try to take pics, looking forward to seeing what it looks like after 10k. When you run longer intervals you shouldnt use a cheap filter.

Ive said this pleanty of times in other oil posts, but my uncle in Germany changes the oil in his Porsche every 10k or so, and he'll push the needle to 300 kmh, so it gets worked. My aunt goes longer in her mercedes. Toyota UK says every 12k miles. Now that engine aint any different than here, neither is the oil. Its just here, people have always hear 3k miles, my granddady said 3k, my daddy says 3k, so imagonna say 3k. That's just as dumb as my family's always bought fords so I'm going to buy a ford.

But I would love to hear from someone that changes every 3k or so explain why toyota says its ok for 12k in Europe and you say its only ok for 3k?

Old 05-04-2008, 04:44 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I've almost always used Mobil 1 in my vehicles for better than 2 decades now (yea, I've hit 40 and am getting old) and always with a Mobil 1 or Wix filter. My last change in my Grand Cherokee (4.7 H.O.) I tried Royal Purple as it was on a buy 1 get 1 sale, making it cheaper than Mobil 1. I also did the front & rear diffs and used Royal Purple as well. The Jeep got an instant 2 mpg fuel economy boost. Don't know if it's engine oil or diff related or a combination of the two. I just got back from a long trip with the truck and it's due for oil and rear diff. change. I'm gonna try RP in the engine to see if it does like it did in the Jeep. I've not decided on the diff fluid yet as I have an Auburn LSD and they are pretty adamant about using conventional oils there...
Hope I didn't cloud things up for you...

Old 05-04-2008, 05:25 PM
RamItOne

Rp is a good oil, more easily found than amsoil but there's usually a few dealers in every good sized city, but you can buy em online and you don't need to change em that often so ordering them isnt a hassle.

Hammer are you still gonna change the diffs every 15k? You don't have the c(u)nt clip issue with the auburn. I want to buy a new cover with a plug so I can drain, check and refill with the same amsoil, its rated for 100k miles so no sense in wasting it at 15k.

Old 05-04-2008, 05:38 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Yea, I'm at about 14k since they changed the diff fluid 500 miles after the gears went in. As per Auburn's specs, they used conventional, athough a good one (Lucas). As stated, I just got back from Ga. and am due for an oil change and figured since I gotta get the drain pan, etc. out anyway, I'd hit 'em both the same time. I'm just deciding whether to go against Auburn's specs and use RP or not. I emailed them and they are so damn adamant about not using synthetics. Wouldn't give me a reason, but re-assured me that it would void the warranty. I can't see how using a synthetic and adding the modifier would be so different. Even if I use the RP, it says you don't need the modifier with it, but I'd put a 4 oz. bottle in anyway.
I may hold off a week or two and decide on the diff fluid. I may be getting a high end cover with drain and a tap for a temp probe. You'll note I just started another thread as to why - I busted my stock pillar while in Ga. [:@]and have a new one with the gauge mount in a box in the garage...

Old 05-04-2008, 05:45 PM
RamItOne

you know the second I saw you replied I remembered about auburn being anti synthetic, amsoil like rp says you don't even need the FM.
Yeah our pillars break, but that's only cause you aint a small guy, I'm 6'4 and an waiting for mine to strip, my hunting buddy already stripped his.

On iPhone so I'll send you a link for some bad *** diff covers.