3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Time to finally install my pillar w/gauge

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 05:04 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Time to finally install my pillar w/gauge

Well, my fat *** finally went and broke the pillar loose on the drivers side. I stepped on the Westin nerf and grabbed the handle to pull my 270 lb. self up as always, and it snapped.
So, it's time to install the one I bought that takes a single gauge that I've had in the box on a shelf in the garage for over a year now. I've got to buy the temp gauge for it and decide if I want to run it to the tranny or get a real aftermarket diff cover and run the probe there. Probably will be the tranny though, if for no other reason than cost, since I'm not working all of the sudden and those diff covers ain't cheap. At least I can make another DIY out of it.

Anybody suggest what brand of temp gauge or where to get a good price onone or any other thoughts or suggestions?

Old 05-04-2008, 07:09 PM
RamItOne
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Time to finally install my pillar w/gauge

you know with the typical dodge owner being a big redneck like myself you'd think they'd have used bigger bolts with deeper threads.
You're the second guy I know that's stripped it.
I was lucky one day, was on the top of the parking garage all the way on the other side of the elevator, well we had an ice storm that iced over the highways and needless to say the top of the parking garage as well, so as I slowly walked over there as I went to step into the cab I slipped and the only thing they saved me was that I was holding onto that handle. Now for the fun part, half way down the ramp to the next floor was iced and yes the truck slid down and then stopped once I hit non iced concrete, fortunately the garage was empty as everyone in my area went home early to beat the ice storm, well getting paid tripple time to stay and do virtually nothing as the bulk of the tasks were transferred to offices around the country sounded pretty good, stay 4 hours and get paid for 12.

Old 05-04-2008, 10:03 PM
Buford445
Professional

A friend of mine has a 02 1500 he striped the pass. side and he made spacers for both sides to stiffen them up

Old 05-04-2008, 10:11 PM
jstmahoney
Captain

I broke my oh **** handle too. I got one at the $tealership that was resesined. I attemped to fix it but it wasn't worth it. I think the replacement was like $35 and I talked the guy down to $26. The ones with the gauges are here : https://www.dodgeparts.com/index.php...8475b7a9308a9d

NVM The link has the whole handle and the gauge(s)

Old 05-04-2008, 10:32 PM
daytona1680
Veteran

IMO there is only one guage brand to consider..Autometer....check out jegs.com or summitracing.com last time I checked prices they were the cheapest I could find(never checked e-bay though)

Old 05-04-2008, 10:44 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Hey daytona,
How you likin' the cam? I was debating the Comp 260 or the KRC 210. I'm swinging towards the KRC for the extra low end torque, with a custom grind for even more torque. Of course, I'll be ebay'ing my Superchips in favor of the SCT when I do the cam.

Old 05-04-2008, 11:11 PM
daytona1680
Veteran

I think the cam is performing well for not having a "real" tune yet, I have superchips for now. If I want too I can smash the gas peddle and the truck will sit there and smoke the tires..Im kinda wishing I would have got something bigger but I'll wait and see how this cam performs when its tuned, if im not happy I will get a custom grind from sharadon. As soon as I get my stimulus check I will be getting the SCT, then I will make a final decision on weather to keep the 260 or get a custom grind

Old 05-04-2008, 11:26 PM
mmstar23
Champion

broke mine too. it still sits in there, but i had to use epoxy and clamps around the holes to get it to stay back together. the screw isnt completly stripped so it stays in there if you dont put to much weight on it. im not even heavy. 190 lbs should not do that!

Quick Reply: Time to finally install my pillar w/gauge