3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Maintenance question

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 06:32 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by whiteonrice
Trans flush is BS. Take the $100 and rent a hooker. You'll feel better and your trans will be better off.

Rick

WHY, why does everyone think a flush is BS? I think people who think flushes are a joke, i think that's BS and your only gonna hurt your vehicle in the long run. Clearly there's no first hand mechanic knowledge involved or there wouldn't be anyone saying a flush is the worst thing you can do. Would you remove the oil filter and replace it and then top off the old engine oil? I would assume not. That's what you guys are recommending for this guys tranny.
dropping the pan and changing the filter screen is BS and not needed until like 100kmi. Also, dropping the pan doesn't even change 1/2 the fluid. That means the tq converter still has almost 10qts of old fluid. The flush has got a bad rap because most people wait way too long and when they get a flush they wait until over 100kmi and they don't drop the pan first and clean any shavings that are in there. At 60kmi you will be fine with just a flush. it will put 100% new fluid in there.
I just flushed my father's F-150 at 82kmi. Let me just say that the tranny shifts so smooth compared to before. He even called me up and asked if i put an additive in it to shift better. Nope. i did drop his pan first to wipe the pan, but it was VERY clean. Did not need it.

You need everything the dealer is telling you!!!

Old 04-02-2009, 06:43 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tranny fluid drop 'n' drain is every 30K on the '03s, probably some years after. Change the flat filter every time, the spin-on every other time.

Old 04-02-2009, 07:17 PM
MADMAXIN22
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I WOULD do all of those. do you guys know you can haggle with the dealer. tell them you will do it all if they knock 15% off your total. If your rear diff is a 9.25 lsd and you never touched it i'd put money on there being chunks in it. DSA rear axles should have fluid changed every 15k to keep your warrany valid if it has a powertrain warranty. Good luck doing the plugs yourself, major PITA even for techs who do them once a week

Old 04-03-2009, 10:48 AM
TheFist
Veteran

I read my owners manual in the service interval section and couldn't even find where it said to do the tranny service. Mines an 07. Only found it in the link. I am obsessive about preventative maint. so I want to do it. I just want to do it when its necessary.

Old 04-03-2009, 11:06 AM
V_Scapes
Record Breaker

if you think theyre going to give you a good deal on it, have em do it. but it should all be done. like stated before, its cheaper to do alittle servicing then to drop 3k for a new trans. i had my trans serviced in the fall and it shifts much better. im going to do the diffs and transfer case in june also.

Quick Reply: Maintenance question