3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Front End leak...wtf?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 07:48 AM
bwhetsto
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front End leak...wtf?

Yeah, I tried searching a little and didn't see anything too specific to what I'm seeing on my '03 Hemi.

Seem to be having a leak where my front axle shafts connects into my front diff, passanger side. (I beg your pardon if my part names or identifications are off, but I know it's not the tie rods and am pretty certain it's the axle shafts, just don't know the name of where they insert to towards the center of the truck.)

I am hoping this is something simple like a seal, but what actions would you take? Stealership? Local Mechanic? DIY? I have a Chilton's for the truck and have not begun to dig through to find an answer, I thought I would ask the experts first! If anyone has input about this, or has had this done, can you give me a rough estimate of what I can expect to pay?

What a PIA. I hardly even drive this pig because of the gas prices and it's proving to be more work than my 'Dub with 200k on the clock![>:]

Old 05-09-2008, 04:03 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Front End leak...wtf?

First of all, ditch the Chilton's manual unless you have a bird. Most any 4x4 shop can diagnose and fix this for you. Unless you have a lot of confidence in the local dealer, they should be your last resort. I don't have a 4x4, so I don't know for sure, but unless something is really hurt, this probably won't be too expensive. Just don't put it off or you will be looking at $$$$$.

Old 05-12-2008, 01:15 PM
bwhetsto
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Front End leak...wtf?

Thanks for your response Mike. I definitely don't want to put this off for long as I am well aware that things like this can start small and blossom into something big if not taken care of.

Quick Reply: Front End leak...wtf?