3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hey MDS Hemi guys...

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 03:42 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Hey MDS Hemi guys...

Time to do the oil in the truck and went to Advance Auto for Royal Purple. They had 10w/30 and 5w/30 (the preferred oil of my non-MDS Hemi) for regular price which is $7.28 per quart. The 5W/20 (the oil you are supposed to use in a MDS Hemi) is being discontinued (at Advance, not by RP) and was on sale for $4.95 a quart. That is a steal!
I decided to get seven quarts for my truck for today and enough for the next change as well. I thought about getting six for the next change in the GC, but the 4.7 H.O. calls for 10w/30 and I thought 5w/20 would be pushing it. The next lighter grade should be no big deal in my truck, actually it is preferred for the '05 which is supposed to be identical to my '04, not to mention the fact that I run a 180* thermostat which allows you to run the next thinner oil because of the lower engine temp.
Anyway, I thought I'd mention it, I don't know if it is a chain-wide thing, but might be worth you guys looking into...

Old 05-12-2008, 03:57 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Hey MDS Hemi guys...

05 non-MDS is also 5W-20.

Last time I thought about changing to RP I looked on EBay and found a 5 gallon jug for $122 delivered, not sure if that is still out there or not.

Old 05-12-2008, 04:24 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

ORIGINAL: HammerZ71

The next lighter grade should be no big deal in my truck, actually it is preferred for the '05 which is supposed to be identical to my '04, not to mention the fact that I run a 180* thermostat which allows you to run the next thinner oil because of the lower engine temp.

I had that covered inside the post. Should I have titled the Subject: Hey MDS & '05 guys...?[&:]

Old 05-12-2008, 04:42 PM
CarGuyOhio

Oops I should read.

It is now $129, but still a good deal as RP is hard to find locally, this would give the average person about a years worth of oil.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Royal...spagenameZWDVW

Old 05-12-2008, 04:59 PM
RedneckDodge86
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there anything special you need to do to change from regular oil to synthetic oil? This guy tried to tell me what seemed like a retard thing to do. or can i just go straight from regular and on my next oil change put synthetic in? I know seems like a stupid question but ive never used synthetic. Thanks

Old 05-12-2008, 05:12 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Synthetics have the dual advantage of better lubrication which equals less wear on parts and also better fuel economy. Another benefit to offset the extra costs is that synthetics hold their viscosity longer, meaning you can go longer between oil changes.
The only down side to switching to them on high mileage engines that have always used conventional oil is that it can sometimes "expose" some seal or gasket flaws which means a leak where you may not have had one previously. The synthetic and it's additives actually do their job so well, that some of the sludge from years of dino oil is cleaned away, and this sludge (while hurting performance and fuel economy) may have actually been blocking the oil from leaking out of a bad seal.
The way I look at it, you got a gasket that's shot, and the synthetic is basically letting you know about it. I don't know if it has any benefit or not, but if I buy a vehicle with over 40k miles or so, I "ease" it into synthetics by doing the initial oil change with a 50/50 dino/synthetic blend. Then go to a full synthetic for good on the next change. I personally have never had a leak switching that way, so I'm sticking with it.
BTW- I recently went to Royal Purple in the Grand Cherokee Overland I bought for a daily driver about six months ago. I can safely say it always had dino oils because it was owned by an older couple who had it dealer serviced since day one. Eased into synthetics by using a Mobil blend for the first 3k miles I had it. PutRP in the engine at the next change as well as their gear lube in both diffs and have experienced a dramatic 2.5 mpg increase in economy...

Old 05-12-2008, 05:23 PM
maalna2
Rookie

Another thing that Advance auto has until the 31st. is 5qt Mobil 1 (any weight) and Mobil 1 filter for $26. I know that my truck takes
7 qts but still I thought that was a great deal.

Old 05-12-2008, 05:32 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

I actually saw that, and it would have been a hard call between that and the RP at regular price. I've always used Mobil 1 in the truck with a Mobil 1 or Wix filter, but the mpg gain I just experienced in my GC with the RP in the engine and diffs had me wanting to try to see if lightning could strike twice...

Old 05-12-2008, 07:40 PM
CarGuyOhio

Walmart has M1, the 5 quart jug for 22. I do not like M1 filters, it actually would cause a wine on the SRT at startup, hard to believe I know. Actually a number of aftermarket filters make the wine at startup on the SRT. I did not believe it myself until I went back to the Mopar filter.

I think at some point I will switch to RP, but I am ordering from EBay, nothing better than stocking your own oil[8D]

Old 05-12-2008, 09:25 PM
mmstar23
Champion

i had 90k miles on my truck and the previous owner only used conventional....i was "ify" because even if there was a problem i didnt want to deal with it at the time, but i switched to royal purple 10w-30 without easing it in. just put in royal purple...actually saw about 1mpg gain from the motor oil (yes hand calculated) so i decided id put it in my differential too. it got me another mpg....well it actually like .8 of a mile, but with the price i justify it as being 2mpg gain by switching to rp. i also plan on putting rp in my transmission too.

Quick Reply: Hey MDS Hemi guys...