3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-10-2015, 05:36 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Air Intake and Exhaust Guides
Print Wikipost

Are Cold air intakes worth the money.

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 12:59 AM
RamItOne
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Are Cold air intakes worth the money.

too much to read...
go to kandns site and pick your poison and look at the dyno, nothin, nada, most gains are at like 3500 rpms... unless you have an exhaust, headers, chip then go with a CAI, but a cai by itself wont do anything, and anyone that says it does is just letting the lil bit of noise they hear trick them..

Old 05-13-2008, 01:27 AM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

ORIGINAL: bwhite757

Here's mine, just for kicks:

[sm=laughat.gif]

Old 05-13-2008, 06:41 AM
5point7 hemi
Professional

You guys obviously are not buying the right intake.

Below arethe dyno results from the new Ramhammer intake on my 2004 5.7 taken last month.

There are 4 runs on this chart. 5 and 6 are with the stock airbox and a K&N filter. 7 and 8 are with the Ramhammer. Torque is "T" Horsepower is "H"

Cose up.

The numbers don't lie. At 4000 Rpm’s, I was previously making 230 hp and about 302 TQ.
With the RAMHAMMER, at 4000 I made 250 horsepower and 326 TQ.

That’s a 20 hp difference and a 24 tq gain. At 4000 rpm’s.
12 hp difference and a 19 tq gain. At 4250 rpm’s.
10 hp difference and a 20 tq gain. At 4500 rpm’s.

After 5000 rpm’s the numbers pretty much line back up and stay that way so it would be safe to say that all of the gains are from 3500-5000 rpm.

100 percent satisfaction gaurantee. If you don't like it, they will buy it back from you. No questions asked.

If you want more info, email Lance or Scott here;
hammerautomotive@hotmail.com

BTW, this is what it looks like, gigantic!

PS, I do not work for them or anything. They do not make one for the 4.7, only the 5.7.

Old 05-13-2008, 06:54 AM
dline
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ramhammer is the best intake i've ever owned (i've even owned a pos vararam before), great throttle response, quality mounting, and looks great.

you can actually feel the difference of the hp gain after installing this intake, and you can hear it too.

Old 05-13-2008, 07:23 AM
Citizen Shane

Yup RAMHAMMER all the way! It aint cheap but its the only one that has produced real results for me period. Aside from the numbers posted here one of the guys who just started running took his truck to the track and the only mod between this time and previous runs was the RAMHAMMER and he cut .2 off of his previous best time and that was with horrible DA conditions for this run.

So are CAI's worth it? Most are garbage that is true .... RAMHAMMER is possibly the only one that actually makes the numbers they claim if not more and is built to last.

Old 05-13-2008, 07:34 AM
topcop38
Professional

but not till 4000 RPM. who runs their truck that high? mine hasn't been over 3000 and thats when i was pulling my trailer.
the reason i clicked on this thread was to decide whether or not to spring for one. thanks to the dyno sheets i'll be saving myself a few hundred $$$.

Old 05-13-2008, 07:35 AM
KRZY.BMET
Peaceful Browser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Getting one like the ramhammer is good. That ebay one pictured above has the cone covered and really doesn't do much. There is another kind of CAI that snaps into place over your exhisting airbox (check out my gallery of the Airaid one I have). This one does absolutley nothing unless you plan on getting a functional hood to work with it. This I plan on doing. I want to get the shaker hood that is out.

Is it worth it to buy, not really unless you plan on putting alot more into the truck.

Old 05-13-2008, 07:50 AM
Citizen Shane

Not actually...it starts making power at 3k and continues thru 4k rpm.

And I guess I'm a rare bird but with the Hemi I am between 3k and 4k all the time. This intake absolutely rocks for daily driving because of where it makes its power.

Also it appears you would be putting this on a 4.7. The 4.7 doesnt produce decent power until 4k rpm. Unfortunately there arent many intakes that are going to do much of anything for the 4.7 in Ram. It has 2 strikes against it....1 - smaller v8 that makes its power at higher rpm's and 2 - Dodge decided to put it in a really heavy truck. This is especially true if you have a QC.

Old 05-13-2008, 07:55 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Now granted, a CAI intake by itself, doesn't do a whole lot for you. But added to other mods (exhaust, tuner, headers, etc.) it significantly helps. It's a case where the sum of all the parts together gives better gains than the total of the parts individually. Many other mods list that a CAI is required or at least strongly recommended . It is listed as a recommended item for greater performance by the maker of my headers and a required item (along with headers & exhaust) on the specs of the more aggressive aftermarket cams.
I've seen the dyno numbers of an '05 Hemi QCSB 4x2 with a Flowmaster 40 and Superchips tuner alone, then the numbers with a K&N series 63 added. The gain was aboutseventeen peak RWHP, which is significantly higher than the 10.5 gain that K&N claims for that CAI. To me, it means that the CAI acted to enhance the other mods or basically to help them reach their potential.

Old 05-13-2008, 08:07 AM
5point7 hemi
Professional

ORIGINAL: HammerZ71

To me, it means that the CAI acted to enhance the other mods or basically to help them reach their potential
I totally agree, no point adding more air without a less restrictive exhaust.

Quick Reply: Are Cold air intakes worth the money.