3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-10-2015, 05:36 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Air Intake and Exhaust Guides
Print Wikipost

Are Cold air intakes worth the money.

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 09:02 PM
HemiMega
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are Cold air intakes worth the money.

I have a 08 Megacab with a Hemi..Of cousre that is all they come with. I put a HD 50 Flowmaster on it. Is a Cold air intake worth the money. I was looking at the Volant CAI and the scoop.If a CAI is worth itwhich one do yourecommend? I appreaciateany advice..

Old 05-12-2008, 09:08 PM
ssgdick
Default RE: Are Cold air intakes worth the money.

I have an 06 Ram and I would have to say yes it is worth it. I believe it really does not matter the brand name now a days, I am sure some people will disagree. I recently bought a CAI from airram along with the tunnel Ram Scoop. I love it. It has a really good sound and it costed me about half as much as all the leading brand names. Well, hoped this helped.

Old 05-12-2008, 09:17 PM
Ol442

ssgdick, I was thinkin of gettin a similar set up, could you feel any difference in power?

Old 05-12-2008, 09:18 PM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

depends. are you looking for sound and being able to say I have a CAI, or are you speaking from a performance standpoint? I don't think any of them give you much for performance, but the less you spend, the more performance you get for your dollar.

Old 05-12-2008, 09:25 PM
ssgdick

ol442, I do notice a little more in the mid-range, but it is not that much. I really like the sound. I agree withxfeejayk.There is not that much perfomance.But you know, it sounds really cool and you can notice a little difference.

Old 05-12-2008, 09:40 PM
bwhite757
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In my personal opinion, unless you're going to do a lot more engine modification, then no a CAI is not worth the money. It adds a little noise, no noticiable gains in HP or gas mileage. The Hemi's stock airbox and resonator are not that restrictive, and they pull air from the fender well away from the engine heat. The most restrictive part of the stock system is the paper filter, so throw a K&N drop-in in there and you're good to go. The bad part about a CAI system is that it still relies on the engine to pull the air into the throttle body opening, thus you're really not helping the engine out.

I put an eBay CAI on my truck just because. After reading a LOT of information, and personal examination of the stock airbox and resonator, I just couldn't see how throwing a $300 tube on was going to help, so I went the eBay route. Sure enough, my eBay intake added the extra growl that everyone talks about, but really no other difference. Ultimately it's you're own decision, but make sure that you realize a lot of people on this forum are teenagers, and think that having a CAI on their truck adds a couple of "Cool" points to them, so be careful who's opinion you are reading...

Here's mine, just for kicks:

Old 05-12-2008, 09:44 PM
Ol442

thanks for the response ssgdick

Old 05-12-2008, 11:54 PM
HemiMega

Thanks for the input..

Old 05-13-2008, 12:10 AM
kniner
Professional

The service man at the dealership told me not to get rid of the big air box on my 4.7 stating that it is why the truck responds so quickly saying something like the fact that it stores air inside the box. But they do offer the CAI system if I want one from them. Go figure.

Old 05-13-2008, 12:53 AM
Ben D.
Champion

my only reasoning for one is to get a filter that I can clean unlike the stock papre one. I used a k&N drop in in my wrangler just so I could clean it and not deal with replacement. that pays for itself rather quickly in that case.

Quick Reply: Are Cold air intakes worth the money.