3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Options and Ideas for a 2007 QC

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 03:20 PM
omnix1200
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Options and Ideas for a 2007 QC

I bought a used 07 QC automatic a few days ago, and I intend to modify it quite a bit. Most of my previous WIPs have been cars, and this is my first full-size truck, so I'm looking for input on best improvements.

First, though I have to rant... Mating this relatively new engine with an 80's design tranny was stupid. Someone at Dodge needs to be slapped for this... Why not mate it with the 5-speed 545 at least? Ok, I feel better now.

My highest priority is to get a little streetable performance from this mouse... However, I generally like to balance power with economy; but I realize performance comes at a cost. This DSM motor, though, is what attracted me to the truck in the first place (and the fact that the truck is huge!!!) So, short of swapping out the entire thing with a V8 (or the MB turbo diesel someone mentioned a while back), I'd like to see what I can do with this powerplant. What other automatic trannies would bolt on pretty easily? I'd prefer at least a 5 speed, but one of the newer 6 speeds (like the ZF Ford is using) would be ideal. BTW, yes I can drive a stick, but I'm lazy (all evidence to the contrary) and I believe the newer trannies mitigate any advantages manuals had in the past. I've seen Chrysler/MB use many different trannies in recent models, so I'm kind of curious as to what I might find in a salvage yard that would fit without heavy modification (ie - cutting). I've been focusing my search on MB's and BMW's, but truck dynamics are considerably different from cars.

Another thought I had was swapping out the pistons (I've heard the stock pistons are kind of wimpy), and putting a little boost on this thing (10-15 lbs). I was thinking of bumping compression up a little while I'm at it. I prefer turbo because it kicks in higher in the RPM range; so, if its set up right, I can get more power and better economy. I figure the EKG is volumetrically similar to some of the tuner engines, so I am going to do my homework and figure out what size turbine to start with. Does anyone have any suggestions? Based on what I know so far, I want the boost to kick in around 3500 rpm, and reach full boost around 4500. With the exception of the soft pistons, is this a good engine to turbo? Can the ECU be reprogrammed easily? Will I need to swap out the injectors? Fuel pump capacity? Are there any other weaknesses in the system?

Some other perf mods I'm thinking of are removing the fan, and putting in electric fans. Cold Air Intake. LSD. Carbon-Fiber hood.

Any recommendation on getting better braking performance?

Incidentally, how can I determine which diff gearing I've got?

I have read that the stock exhaust is free flowing enough, but I like the sound I've heard from the FlowMaster muffler. Has anyone got clips of other exhaust/mufflers? I've been searching on several sites but only found found clips for the FlowMasters...

For asthetics, I'm going to work with the factory color (Inferno Red) and add some graphics (nothing too crazy) and chrome. The dealer yanked off the factory nerf bars (long story), so I'm thinking of getting another set and bed rails. Any preference on manufacturer? Any problems with the Mopar bling?

I've got an Alpine IVA-W200 HU, several amps (2500+ watts) and some Polk 12" woofers left over from my previous ride to improve the audio. I've already started purchasing the harnesses to tie into the stock system, but I can't seem to find a replacement fascia without the volume cut outs. Any suggestions on where I can find one? I plan on making customer fiberglass speaker cabinets for the doors and back, so I may have to stretch it to the dash and front console, but I'd prefer not to initially... Has anyone tried any major interior upgrades? I plan on putting down sound proofing, and mounting the amps behind or under the rear seats once I figure out how to remove them. I'm also thinking about putting in power buckets in the front (once the thing is down a little lower) which I can use to justify building an entertainment center down the middle.

Finally, I want to lower the truck a few (3-5) inches, but I don't want to go all the way to the ground. I'd just like the center of balance to be even with (or closer) to the axles. Also, I plan on adding a sway bar, and stiffer springs. The Eibach struts and springs look pretty good, but they are only good for around 2in. What other options exist to get this dawg down? I've thought about baggin' it, but I really don't care for air ride and it's pretty pricey for what you get. I'd rather spend the money on the interior (namely audio) and smacking around V8's...

The only other aesthetic parts I plan to add are 20 or 22in wheels/tires, a tonneau, a power or hidden antenna, backup camera (so I can see the shock on their faces as I back over em), and a second alarm system.

Thanks in advance,

Steve

[IMG]local://upfiles/89003/644F2970B3E347EFB542097048D68FA5.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-13-2008, 11:32 PM
XxSilentHawk99xX
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Options and Ideas for a 2007 QC

If you want to bring your truck up to performance, follow what most of the guys on this part of the forum did. Exhaust, Intake, JET Chip, and gears. I have in my truck: Flowmaster 50 series exhaust with 3" pipe to the headers, JBA Stainless steel short tube headers, Trueflow XDI Dry Filter Intake, JET chip stage 1, and US Gear 4.56 gears with the factory LSD. I am still waiting on SCT to come out with a tuner for our vehicle. At the same time, I am in the process of installing an electric fan in the truck as well as getting a Fastman throttle body... Until then though, I am set and have noticed a significant gain in performance.

Quick Reply: Options and Ideas for a 2007 QC