3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

AC problem '02 4.7L QC... need some help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 09:37 PM
V8 Cummins Diesel
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC problem '02 4.7L QC... need some help!

My AC doesn't blow cold air... only hot. I tried putting in freon... but still blowing hot air. I noticed the side fan, which I am assuming is the condensor electric fan, does not come on at all! I was wondering... while working should that fan come on all the time? Or does it only come on when it gets hot? I think this may be my problem! Any other suggestions for possible problems. Tried looking in the relay/fuse box... but nothing is blown... all good. Any help is appreciated!!!! Thanks.

Old 05-19-2008, 09:47 PM
sos
All Star
Default RE: AC problem '02 4.7L QC... need some help!

It sounds like you have a leak. No matter how much freon (it's actually more likely R-134) you put in, if you have a leak it's going to go right out again. They make a dye you can inject in and use a special light to look for leaks. Do you smell the refrigerant in the cabin? In my old Dakota, the evaporator sprung a leak and you could smell an awful smell when I tried to use the A/C. My local shop refilled it, but it came right out again, so I had to get the evaporator replaced... and it was a very expensive job since they had to pull the entire dash out to do it. Either get the dye, ortake it to a local shop and have them do it for you.

Edit: If you are talking about the fan in the engine compartment, that is on a thermostat and will only come on when it's needed. It should come on every once in a while once the engine gets hot.

Old 05-19-2008, 10:46 PM
mmstar23
Champion

theres been quite a few 02' 4.7's on here where the AC condenser fan motor goes. mine did as well. i forget what the dealer wanted for it, but it was hundreds and local autoshops wanted $200+. so i went to good ol' ebay and looked it up. $60 for the whole fan, housing blade, motor...EVERYTHING....and $20 to ship. fairly easy install.....4 bolts on the sides to disconnect the small radiator from the AC condenser, and 2 larger bolts on top that hold it to the cross member. once you unblt those, and disconnect the wiring it'll pull out with some messin' around with it. slide the new fan in.....now you can do what you want, but i cut the little plastic piece on the fan shroud that the AC lines run through....(much easier or you have to recharge your whole system =$$$$) so just cut a slit to slide the line through, you'll see what i mean. bolt it all up, plug in the wire conection, and your done. i think it runs better than ever before. im about 99% sure that will fix your problem, since anyone on here that has had the same problem as us has done this after my experience along with a few others and its worked for them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/02-03...spagenameZWDVW

Old 05-20-2008, 02:51 AM
AIR RAM
All Star
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There was a TSB on the condensor fan... I have a 2002 and it was covered under the TSB, replaced for free. If your the original owner it should be covered.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

Old 05-20-2008, 11:41 AM
danorosco

I found a copy of the TSB that deals with this. It mentions replacing the motor and shroud, which I was all set to buy one on E-bay that had the correct part numbers, but the TSB also said to Flash the PCM. If the Flash isn't done will the same problem come up again, or is it pointless to worry about the flash and just do the replacement?

Old 05-20-2008, 12:40 PM
AIR RAM
All Star
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would take it to the dealership and see if they will take care of it being as its a DEFECT from the manufacuter. They may take care of it for you... it does not hurt to ask.

I would deffinatly get them BOTH done... just one or the other.

Also make sure you get a 2003 Condensor fan... thats the one they upgraded the 2002 too.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

Old 05-20-2008, 01:10 PM
danorosco

What exactly does the Flash accomplish? I'm not the original owner, and it now has 153,xxx miles. I try to do as many of the repairs as I can by myself. The part numbers on the ebay item match the replacement part numbers on the TSB. I just didn't want to go through with the replacement if the Flash was absolutely necessary.

Old 05-20-2008, 09:10 PM
V8 Cummins Diesel
Rookie

Thanks for the responses! One question... Does the compressor fan have to be running for the AC to blow cold air?

Old 05-20-2008, 11:36 PM
mmstar23
Champion

didnt flash mine and it works great!

Old 06-10-2008, 09:27 PM
V8 Cummins Diesel
Rookie

Mmstar 23... you made it seem simple to take out the plastic shroud and fan... but man I had to undue the fuse box also to get it to wiggle out. I did cut the shroud so I could remove it without undueing the ac line. I got it out. Now I need to order only the motor and fan. I will keep the plastic shroud. And yes, it does run without the fan and shroud I only had to hook one of the connections back.

Quick Reply: AC problem '02 4.7L QC... need some help!