3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Air Intakes

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2005, 04:10 PM
fbohne
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Intakes

I seen a post from last month on Air intakes but no one replied,

has anyone had any luck with K&N or Airaid intakes with or without the thottle body plate?

I have an 04 Quad Cab 4X4 w/ Hemi and looking for ways to increase MPG and power while towing a travel trailer.

Old 01-15-2005, 04:42 PM
prerunner
Captain
Default RE: Air Intakes

If yr talking about the Throttle Body spacers....Don't! Pretty much everyone in here will agree that they aren't worth it.

I gained about 2 mpg by doing the mods listed in my signature. But thats with my 4.7.....not sure about the Hemi

Old 01-15-2005, 07:18 PM
moparturd
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't used either of the intakes you mention, but I have made a cold air pick-up for the stock system using 4 inch hard, smooth interior ducting. There was a noticable difference over the stock pick-up. Just make sure that what you get is a true cold air set-up. Just because it has some barrier around the filter doesn't make it cold.

Old 01-16-2005, 07:08 PM
Red Ram Hemi 2005
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would rather spend it on a cat back and air filter.

Old 01-17-2005, 03:41 AM
fbohne

Red Ram Hemi, what is a cat back?

Old 01-17-2005, 05:08 AM
proxhemi

fbohne, cat back is short for a catalytic back exhaust system, also i currently have a airraid CAD the full system + magnaflow dual exhaust and im pickin up my hypertech programmer from my local speed shop, i noticed that with the intake (air) the exhaust sound changed and plus u get the noise from the intake it self.. personally i like the sound, some dont to each their own, i noticed maybe a 2 mpg increase with exhaust/intake. and maybe a lil more perf is it worth it? thats ur decision.

Dan

Old 02-16-2005, 04:27 AM
bigtex

I have an airaid spacer and full intake kit and both were easy to install and you can feel the difference in power. You will also get better fuel economy i got an additional 4 mpg with those and an exhaust

Old 02-16-2005, 05:23 AM
happyhem

I have to agree, the sound is awesome, 3 mpg pickup with my 4.7, K & N 77Series

Old 02-18-2005, 10:04 PM
GotHemi?
Professional

bigtex- had about the same gains in mpg from the K&N filter/ gibson exhaust. Also, big differance in the sound from under the hood, that great sound from under the hood was quickly drowned out when I did the Gibson super truck exhaust the next day. These mpg gains were only seen when I stopped driving the truck like I was racing on a nascar track. More noise = heavier right foot.

Old 02-18-2005, 10:04 PM
GotHemi?
Professional

bigtex- had about the same gains in mpg from the K&N filter/ gibson exhaust. Also, big differance in the sound from under the hood, that great sound from under the hood was quickly drowned out when I did the Gibson super truck exhaust the next day. These mpg gains were only seen when I stopped driving the truck like I was racing on a nascar track. More noise = heavier right foot.

Quick Reply: Air Intakes