3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Alternator problem?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 07:32 PM
Denniss66
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

check all your pullies as you have the belt off see if the bearings are loose and if they are stiff to turn it at all. thats all i could think of maybe get a obd II reading done some where that has a good obd II reader. i have had codes thrown on my truck that don't pop up when i do the key thing or even with my superchips programmer.

Old 04-22-2010, 08:36 AM
KingsMan
Amateur

I wouldn't think the A/C problem is related to the charging problem. If you had a pulley or belt problem you should be able to hear it squalling. It might be time to have an A/C shop check your system charge.
As for the alternator, check the battery temp sensor. It's in the bottom of the battery tray. That little feller tells the PCM how fast to charge the battery. If it's not sending out a good signal, then PCM might not be keeping up with the necessary charge rate to keep your battery up.

Old 04-22-2010, 09:32 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Also if the AC isnt blowing as cold, make sure the AC fan (next to the rad) is turning on and blowing against the condensor

Old 05-05-2010, 12:55 AM
DTA

Well I took it to a mechanic today due to the a/c completely stopped blowing cold. Good call on the fan motor weedaho. All the bearings seem to be ok. I was also told the fan clutch needed to be replaced. Volt gauge still seems to be a little low maybe it will pick back up after replacing the fan clutch. I'll also check the battery temp sensor.

Old 09-01-2010, 10:09 PM
56chevytimes2

I am having exactly the same problem of 0 volts showing. the Alternator and battery check good. Grounds all check out as well. I tried disconnect the battery for about 20 min and then reconnected but no luck.

Kurt 56chevytimes2

the Dodge is the Tow mule

Old 09-02-2010, 07:11 PM
56chevytimes2

Has it been determined that the ECM is the fault and should be replaced, when the volt gauge reads zero and the other factors are checked to be OK?
I hate to buy expensive parts just to find out a 10 cent washer would have worked.
Kurt

Quick Reply: Alternator problem?