3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Window tinting

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 03:52 PM
usnfirefighter
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Window tinting

I'm looking at getting my 2 front windows tinted. I know what the local laws are, but just have a few questions... When they say 35% about window tinting, are they refering to the light that it blocks, or lets in. also what is the factory tint on the rear windows...??

Old 06-03-2008, 06:17 PM
ivaskaj
Veteran
Default RE: Window tinting

35% tint only lets 35% of the light thru. You can see right thru it, so there is no point in wasting the money on such a light tint. I personally don't give 2 ****s about what some run amok government tells me I can legally do to my personal property, so I went with 5% on the back and windshield strip and 15% on the sides. There is no law regarding the back windows, just the front sides and windshield.

Old 06-03-2008, 06:51 PM
cddailey
Veteran

the factory back windows are tinted at about 20%. That is what i had matched up with my front windows. Its not too dark so you shouldnt have anything to worry about unless you just have a really @$$hole cop.

Old 06-03-2008, 06:54 PM
05Redram
Professional

I just tinted mine with 20% and it matches real close.

Old 06-03-2008, 08:58 PM
dinkenflicka
Rookie

I heard the cops around here have recently started making people peel their tint before they let 'em go. :/

Old 06-03-2008, 11:11 PM
mmstar23
Champion

ORIGINAL: dinkenflicka

I heard the cops around here have recently started making people peel their tint before they let 'em go. :/
haha, id tell the cop to take that **** off himself. and to walk over to his car and do the same. yesterday i saw a cop car in broad daylight and i couldnt see through the winshield! thats some bullsh!t

Old 06-04-2008, 12:47 AM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: mmstar23

haha, id tell the cop to take that **** off himself. and to walk over to his car and do the same. yesterday i saw a cop car in broad daylight and i couldnt see through the winshield! thats some bullsh!t
I agree.

I have 35% and like said it lets 35% of light through. You can see through it easily but it does look tinted. If you put 35% on some vehicles it might meter out darker as the factory usually tints the windows at I think its 78% but don't quote me on that. Just make sure the laws say 35% film not 35% total.

As for the rear the factory is supposed to be between 15-20%. Some say 20% is a good match some say 15%. Depends on what brand you go with.

Old 06-04-2008, 11:25 AM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: mmstar23

Since cops are not subject to the laws they enforce, let us know how that works out for ya.

Old 06-04-2008, 01:02 PM
Sgt SF

What's a good price for tinting the front two windows and the rear?

Old 06-04-2008, 07:57 PM
ivaskaj
Veteran

I paid $90 for that on my truck with the 1 piece back window. $20 more for the windshield strip. Shop around and find a deal. If a shop tries to charge you more for illegal tint, tell them to eat **** and look for another shop.

Quick Reply: Window tinting