3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Power steering leak, help!

Old 01-29-2007, 06:40 PM
squatchie16
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Power steering leak, help!

Guess i should have asked what exactely was causing the power steering leak on my 04 4.7L. The mechanic (shop next door) just fixed it and filled up the steering fluid for free.

Old 01-29-2007, 11:59 PM
NYPANAMA42
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where should they be jacking the vehicle then? Shouldn't they already know this?

Old 01-30-2007, 02:55 PM
jeffjs
Professional

UPDATE: slapped on a new hose clamp from Walmart last night. It seems to solve the leak problem - will know for sure in a couple of days.

I bought what I thought was the correct power steering fluid, but it turned out to be kind of a normal oil color, not red like the stock stuff. I put in a few ozs to top off - I hope that won't hurt anything.

I saved a trip to the dealer. Thanks to this forum and this thread!!!

FYI: it appears it was the top hose that was leaking - the clamp was whimpy and I could move the hose back and forth with my hands before I put on a new clamp. I left the old one on too just to be safe.

Old 01-30-2007, 04:53 PM
dees

I took my 04 into the dealerbecause it looked like the drivers side axle boot was leaking but all it was, was the power steering hose. They tech said the clamps they you are pretty crappy and he added another clamp and it stopped leaking. So I'm pretty sure that's what's causing it, if it's leaking on the axel boot.

Old 01-30-2007, 08:52 PM
Abqhemi
Professional

Mine started leaking too last month! right before xmas. It was all under warranty so I didn't really care too much but it def was the rack and pinon. they must have them on a timer??

Old 02-19-2007, 05:41 PM
kingriggins

So does it matter what kind of power steering fluid is used to replace what has leaked? I noticed the color of what is leaking is close to what transmission fluid looks like. My leak started when it began to get cold. It leaks a little more now, and I think I have pinpointed the leak to be very near where the hoses connect to the radiator. What kind of power steering fluid should I use?

Old 02-19-2007, 06:19 PM
hemiyellow
DC Insider

deffinitly use ATF +4, service manual has a write up in it about using the wrong fluid...basically just dont do it and be sure to use ATF +4

Old 02-19-2007, 06:45 PM
mprisco

If it is what I think it is, it is called the power steering rack. Mine started leaking last week, going to the dealer tonight to get replaced, still under warranty...

2004 Hemi Ram

Old 02-19-2007, 10:48 PM
NYPANAMA42
Record Breaker

Had to take my truck to the dealership for the "Leaking Power steering Fluid". This is the second time around for the same problem.
According to them, it appears that the power steering pump went up. So they will replace it under warranty. Glad to have a warranty, believe me.

Old 03-12-2007, 05:31 PM
bigjoe1

Midas said I needed a new rack, I checked here and fixed it myself! Drove the truck back to Midas and told them they should look a little closer. $1.30 for the clamp or $1000.oo for a new rack? I think it was a make work project!

Joe

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Power steering leak, help!