3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Power steering leak, help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 07:06 PM
progjsa
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Power steering leak, help!

I have an 03' Ram Quad Cab (4x4 with 78 K), and I had the same clamp problem about 2 years ago. I recently had a problem where the steering made a groaning noise when turning (for maybe 2 weeks or so), then one morning Ifound a huge pool of power steering fluid under the truck. The result was a blown return line which was not covered under warranty.

Old 03-13-2007, 08:04 PM
Cordoba man
Professional

So mine was also dripping slowly, and I thought it was the rack too. On a couple really cold days to work it drained itself twice and left me with armstrong steering. One 1" clamp later and no more leak. I should say, no more big leak. The boots on the rack are a little damp, but not dripping. I think Lucas treatment should take care of this.

Old 03-13-2007, 09:47 PM
jorswift
Rookie

I just bought an 03 ram 1500 4x4 hemi sport and I too have a small leak of what seems to be power steering fluid.I took it into jiffy when I got my oil changed and they said it was a hose leak in the power steering, but I believe it is right above the the two power steering lines that go to the cooler, and it is right under the cooler. I have some pics, but my camera isnt that great at all, a little blury. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do other than take it in? I already changed some of the clamps with some hose clamps from the local hardware store. please help.

jordan

Old 03-15-2007, 08:02 PM
Cordoba man
Professional

Mine took just a few days to dry up. But it doesn't drip on the driveway anymore.

Old 03-16-2007, 01:38 AM
boatbuilder
Rookie

My 04' 4x4 hemi started leaking power steering fluid a few weeks back...right around 33,000 miles on it. They replaced the clamps with 'better' clamps they said. Hasn't leaked since. Weird how so many have this same issue. You'd think Dodge might take note of all the trucks that come back in with the same problem.

Old 08-06-2007, 11:53 AM
the944guy

My power steering rack also started leaking not to longa ago but my warranty was out (stupid me didnt extend it) and they wanted like $500 to fix the problem....So I just found this online site and ordered their rack seal kit for like $10 and was able to use their online diagrams and easy to follow instructions and had it done in under an hour, no leaks now!!!!!
www.pskits.com

Old 01-23-2008, 01:51 PM
wilhemi03

Well I guess hindsight is still 20/20.
I have an 03 Ram 1500 with 75K Miles. The power steering started to make some noise on tight turns (Parking). I checked the fulied and it was ok.
A few weeks went by and I noticed leaks under the truck. The leak was coming from the hoses tha connect the the rack and pinion (Return Line). The dealer has it now for the repair. Diagnostics, $96, hose $62, Labor$200, that's right, $200 to change the hose! Am I missinng something here. What is causing the leaks to occur? Is it anythingother than a poor crimp or clamp on the hose.
I would love to know what was or could besaid to get a new rack installed under warranty (I have the extended warranty to 100K).
The Extended Warrany didn't work for me, glad it worked for some of you.
The kicker is the Hose isn't even a stock item. The Dealerhas to order it. FYI NAPA doesn't even have it available, only the high pressure hose.
I don't know if I've helped anyone, but thanks for letting me vent.

Old 01-24-2008, 03:19 AM
esskmo
Professional

has anyone ever thought about changing out the seemingly wimpy rack and pinion steering? Or, if anyone already has, can you please give details to what you did or had done.

Old 02-16-2008, 10:19 PM
wiztizGT

I have a 2002 Dodge Ram that started making noise during turns a few months ago. I discovered that the power steering fluid was extremely low. Adding fluid fixed the noise but I noticed a puddle under my truck today and the power steering fluid is low again. Reading this post helpedme identify the problem - theclamp everyone is talking about on the top connector to the rack.

UnfortunatelyI am not mechanically inclined in the least.What's the best way to get to the clamp? From the top or the bottom? How did you get the clamp off? I had trouble seeing how it was held on. I'm assuming the tube doesn't need to come off to do this. Any help with this is greatly appreciated.

Old 03-11-2008, 10:41 AM
Klute
Professional

OK. truck's been leaking PS fluid for about 3 weeks. Of course my inspection is due and it did not pass b/c of the leak.

I am going to try the Lucas leak fix product, but I also want to place the clamps...question is, what size clamps and how many willI need?

(I just put a new clamp on the radiator hose last week, luckily, I had one on hand.)

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Power steering leak, help!