3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

First post, First Dodge Ram!

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 11:37 PM
QuentinDVR
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First post, First Dodge Ram!

Hello my name is Quentin, but every one calls me " Q ". I just got a new 2008 Ram 1500 with the 5.7 Hemi.
This is my first full sized truck and I am stoked!! I will have many questions for you guys\gals and I hope to contribute as well.

I have a big family of 6 and I am a avid spear fisherman in So Cal. My avatar is a White Sea Bass I speared of the island of San Clemente, California.
I work at UCLA.

So my first question is this: Is the K&N air intake system the way to go to help improve gas mileage? or just the Air filter?

Any input is cool, and thanks

Q.

Old 06-08-2008, 05:03 AM
The Peddler
Record Breaker
Default RE: First post, First Dodge Ram!

Welcome to the forum! Get some pics up of your truck. I think before you get the air intake, you should start with the exhaust, then the intake.

Old 06-08-2008, 09:36 AM
LoFlyer
Professional

Q, I haven't seen anything convincing on CAI regarding gas mileage. Some say it helps mileage, some say it hurts mileage and others notice no change at all. Everyone says it makes their trucks louder. It seems to me that a CAI couldn't help mileage because the computer will adjust for increased airflow with increased fuel injection. Practically though, I think if a CAI would raise mileage even 1 mpg then Dodge (and all truck makers) would put it on their trucks stock from the factory. At those quantities it really wouldn't be much of a price increase. Dodge could also make a larger air filter intake if more airflow would help. Our air intake systems are the way they are for a reason. I don't mean to discourage you or bash CAI's, I've researched this subject quite a bit and this is my opinion.

Old 06-08-2008, 10:50 AM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

welcome to the forum

Old 06-08-2008, 11:07 AM
Parts/Service
Champion

Welcome to DF....

Old 06-08-2008, 11:32 AM
talon6
Record Breaker

no difference when i put the k&n cai on except alot of noise. i havent put a exhaust on yet so maybe that will help it. saving up for a borla catback.

i know personally about 10 people that have the k&n cai and everyone of them, i mean everyone of them say its a waste of money.(sports cars to trucks)and after being bull headed and buying one anyway i also think it is a waste of money. if i had to do it again i would spend the 300$ on something else.

Old 06-08-2008, 02:15 PM
QuentinDVR

Thanks for the input guys..

Q.

Old 06-08-2008, 02:48 PM
bwhite757
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Flowmaster HD exhaust and CAI, I'm getting less mileage than when I she was stock...

Old 06-08-2008, 09:12 PM
04 HEMI 04
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

welcome to DF and i agree with peddler. cold air intake is my next mod on the list.

if u want to buy cai then try airram cai. it only cost 152 dollars with free shipping. it inculd heat shield
http://airram.com/product.php?catego...;productid=736

Old 06-10-2008, 10:32 AM
Tat2dGuy01

hello all,
new to the forum and just bought a new 07. i cant speak much for the dodge's(yet), but i had the k&n intake on my tacoma for awhile. all bs aside, it is louder and doesn't help very much. we dyno'd the taco before and after and the K&n made very little difference. you can achieve the same results by modifying the stock air box with a "deck plate"(about $12). yes, you are forever stuck with a modified oem airbox, but achieve the same effect. i actually still have pics and a write up for the taco if anyone is interested.

Quick Reply: First post, First Dodge Ram!