3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Transmission Cooler

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 07:26 PM
RBChallenger
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Cooler

In 2003 did the tranny coolers only come on trucks equipped with the tow package? Is there a vin letter or something along these lines indicating if a vehicle had the tow package. The question is regarding an 03 Hemi quad cab. Thanks!!!

Old 06-09-2008, 11:46 PM
Tractor
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Transmission Cooler

Great question. Your dealer (any) should be able to answer that question. If you want to put a bigger cooler on it though, I can provide lots of firsthand experience. We had an 04' QC 4x4 w/Hemi & 545RFE trans. We pull a 30' TailGator toybox camper that can weigh the max it could tow at 10,500#s. I saw a one ton QC dually in PA. w/Hemi w/a cooler almost as big as the radiator 22-24rowvs the 12 row from factory. I wanted the giant cooler for our truck. I was told there was no such thing and there was only one cooler for 1/2-3/4-& 1tons, part #55056472AA. I told them to call the people on the assembly line and ask them cause I saw it w/my own eyes. They said no. So I had to go back to PA a month later & it was still there. I got the VIN #3D3MU48D33G733168, called them back and said here is the vin-it does exist! 2 weeks later I got a Phone call from Paul Oster of Dodge customer service. He said, good news and bad news. He called the assembly line and I was right -it does exist-but there was an inline production change & as of a certain date ALL dodge trucks would get the same cooler. He said it would be cheaper to pay warrenty claims for the ones that failed than to stock-carry-install 3 different types of coolers (not his decision). The new larger cooler that will fit is part #52029089AB but there was only 152 in stock when we got ours (04-05) and Dodge would NOT consider this an "authorized upgrade" I asked -have you ever heard of tranny problems from too much cooling- he said no. So we had it put on-no tranny problems with that truck & I drove the snot out of it when towing but also changed the fluid every year regardless of mileage. Have a dealer lookup that part #- there still may be some left!!!

Quick Reply: Transmission Cooler