3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

mystery noised solved...I hope.

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 02:05 PM
throberts
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mystery noised solved...I hope.

Read some posts here re: a low pitched vibrating drone occuring at various times; either stop and go or cruising along. My new truck has a similar noise and I went to the dealer today to get it checked out. For me, the noiseis happening wheni'm moving along at around 2K rpm's and it comes and goes...does not do it when I get on the gas or step out of the gas. Dealer service assures me that this is a normal sound, "transmission planetary gears engaging/disengaging" and there is no problem. My truck doesn't even have 1000 miles on it yet, so I was rather concerned.....more of an annoyance than anything else I suppose. Hopefully, they're right....and helps others with similar problems.

Old 06-11-2008, 06:06 PM
kicker417
Veteran
Default RE: mystery noised solved...I hope.

do you have the HEMI cause if you do it might be the MDS

Old 06-11-2008, 06:21 PM
sschevy400
Professional

No HEMIwith the MEGA CAB.

Seems weird that the dealers always say something is normal, when others trucks do not do it.

In my Dads 03 2500 Ram, the driver seat started to move back and forth about an inch when you take off or brake. Went to the dealer and they said it was normal...WHAT!?!??! Since when is it normal for a seat to move back and forth. I'm taking it back for him next time for inspection....making sure it gets fixed.

Old 06-11-2008, 09:24 PM
CMA
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have this problem and have been to dealer 3 times to fix.. they do nothing but wont go for test drive in another truck so i can proove its not normal.

Mine has two noises. One is a drone/whine at 45mph and 60-62 mph. The other is when the torque converter is full lock, crusing at 35-40 mph, a whining noise.

Noisy sonofabich truck, and dealer wont fix. I wont buy dodge again because dealers are POS.

Old 06-11-2008, 09:57 PM
throberts
Professional

yeah...I'm a bituneasy when the dealers tell me "normal" for something that doesn't quite right, but at least it's on record now should things go south. does not affect performance at all thankfully.

Old 06-11-2008, 11:11 PM
ccota112

Wow!! I thought I was crazy! I have the same noise and vibrating that you described above. I took it to the dealership and they said it was fine. I took it a second time and a tech rode with me and he said he couldnt hear or feel a thing! ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? It's so obvious! Are they paid to say that? I took it a third time and they said it was "whiffers" sucking in air. WTF?! Is that even a part. I know a little bit about the mechanics of things, I was studying mechanical engineering for god's sakes, and I've never had such thick smoke being blown up my you know what. I know it's a problem with the MDS. I think it's kicking in when it shouldn't. The idea is it's supposed to shut down 4 cylinders on the freeway to save gas milage, instead it always shuts them down, making my gas milage worse than my old Ram with a V8 magnum. I wonder just how many people are experiencing this. Maybe a small claims is in order....

Old 06-12-2008, 12:41 AM
kicker417
Veteran

ORIGINAL: sschevy400

No HEMIwith the MEGA CAB.

Seems weird that the dealers always say something is normal, when others trucks do not do it.

In my Dads 03 2500 Ram, the driver seat started to move back and forth about an inch when you take off or brake. Went to the dealer and they said it was normal...WHAT!?!??! Since when is it normal for a seat to move back and forth. I'm taking it back for him next time for inspection....making sure it gets fixed.
no the 1500MEGA CABdoes have a HEMI my friend

Old 06-12-2008, 01:16 AM
throberts
Professional

Mega Cab with HEMI, no MDS option for the Mega Cab with HEMI.

Old 06-13-2008, 01:52 PM
whiteonrice
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a recent TSB for transmission shudder. It was from March and involves flashing the computer. I don't now how to find the number.

Rick

Old 06-14-2008, 12:38 PM
WhiteRam
Professional

I get a high reving/loud sound, kinda no power for the first minute or so at start up. Normally gone after the first couple of blocks. Figured it was the tranny, that sound like what you guys are getting?

Quick Reply: mystery noised solved...I hope.