3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2004 Dodge Ram Fuel Level Problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 12:30 AM
2004DodgeRamHemi
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Dodge Ram Fuel Level Problem

Anyone might know or have a similar problem to mine? I have a 2004 Ram 1500 SLT 5.7L Hemi .. some times the fuel level will stay on empty afer i start the truck and even after i drive it around .. then out of nowhere the level on the fuel will go up and show that i have gas in it .. Im afraid its the float and i hate to see it cost $400 just for it because its all one module in that i believe which means I have to replace the pump to. The pump works fine but the gauge will some times not work ... i have the 7 yr/70k warranty but thats just powertrain so i doubt that is covered on the warranty .. any suggestions? thanks

Dustin

Old 06-20-2008, 02:27 AM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Default RE: 2004 Dodge Ram Fuel Level Problem

Sounds like perhaps the gauge is just sticking in the dash.
You can try a bottle or two of Techron Fuel injector cleaner. I have heard that this is really good stuff and if there is a build-up on your sending unit, it will clean it off.

Old 06-21-2008, 03:08 AM
2004DodgeRamHemi

but if the dash is sticking then that would mean its somewhere in the module of the fuel pump because the dash reads off the module on the pump ... its all one plastic housing, so im wondering if the float inside the housing, the resistance or something is going out (like the ohms) and then the short goes away .. idk .. could be wrong but im almost guessing it is that fuel pump module sticking then releases and sends the information for the ECM and the gauage activates to normal operation?

Old 06-21-2008, 07:47 AM
sos
All Star

I would guess either the sending unit itself, or the connection between that and the dash. Either way it's going to be a lot of work since you have to drop the tank to get to the sending unit. I would start with making sure the wiring harness connections are tight though.

Quick Reply: 2004 Dodge Ram Fuel Level Problem