3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

CB radio

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 11:02 AM
herring_jerritt
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CB radio

im puttin a CB radio in the truck, i dont know which path to choose to run the cable so could yall give me some ideas? thanx

Old 06-26-2008, 04:57 PM
Kansas Cummins
Default RE: CB radio

Are you talking about the antenna coax or the power wire and ground? I ran my coax thru the sliding rear glass, but I am running a Wilson 1000 mag mount. The power wiring I ran direct from the batteries, under the hood and in through the door. I have a hump mount bracket on the floor. Let me know and I can get some pics if need be.

Old 06-26-2008, 06:15 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ran a Wilson 1000 mag mount and still do. I used to run it through the sliding glass but seemed like it chewed up the shielding some. Honestly I run it through the rear quad cab door now. It doesn't get opened much so seems to do okay. You can also run it in one of the drain plugs under the truck. I've been told to do that before.

Old 06-28-2008, 09:46 PM
Earp175

I ran my power and coax thru the fire wall plug, the same one that has most of the dash wires(up above your brake pedal). I need to rerun my coax thru one of the drain holes because you shouldn't run your power and coax along side of each other. That will cause issues with both rx & tx'ing. I currently have a (Super Tuned) Midland 5001 40 channel CB with a Texstar 350W amp pushing out of a 4ft Firestick. I am about to get a 50W Sideband/ 40 channel CB but I can't decide which one I want.

Old 06-29-2008, 01:37 PM
bfred

I am lazy and pulled the dash out and connected mine to the cig lighter.

Old 06-29-2008, 06:24 PM
herring_jerritt
Veteran

im goin to run the power through the fire wall, but i dont have a sliding rear window so i think im goin to go with the rear door or the drain plug. if anyone has pics that would b awsome.

Old 06-29-2008, 10:58 PM
Hemipwr07
Veteran

to those who helpd me with this before...im going to go with the cobra 29 ltd with a single wilson 1000... i dont have any part of my truck that is 8ft wide so im goin single ha. next week. btw bfred i love the tires

Old 06-30-2008, 10:43 AM
Kansas Cummins

I love my 1000... only way to go in my book unless you go with the 5000. Pickups are not big enough to run dual antennas other than to look cool. I am/was a member of a CB Radio forum that is really cool and helpful. PM me if anyone wants a link... I have not been on this forum enough to know how they feel about links in posts that go to other forums...

Old 06-30-2008, 11:18 AM
mopar74
Professional

This project has been written about before many times on this forum. I also have a QC and the two popular ways to run into the cab from the back is to go through the vents in the back of the cab that allows the cab to equalize air pressure when the doors close - look closely between the cab and the bed. The only problem with this is it is a very sharp bend around a sharp edge.

The way my technician ran the coax was down the back of the track on my rack and between the cab/bed to the underside of the rear seat. If you lift the rear seat and carpet there are knockouts that you can put a grommet through and then the coax and run it up to the front under the carpet, (from the other direction of the power - which is a good thing) and run it to your radio.

Good Luck!

mopar74

Old 06-30-2008, 11:55 AM
Wapakfred
Rookie

To me, the harder part is figuring out where to put the radio in the cab!

Quick Reply: CB radio