3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

K&N off the truck!

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 07:37 PM
Kdarmy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K&N off the truck!

Well after 8 fill up's since I installed my K&N intake system I removed it today & put the original equipment back on.

Since the day I installed it I have been keeping track of my MPG, every fill up showed I was getting 2mpg less than I was before [:@]

Before the install I got 16, sometimes 17mpg. With the K&N system installed I only got 14mpg, & that was trying to "take it easy" and see how much more I could get from a tankfull.
BTW...I did reset my computer when I first installed it.

Keith

Old 06-27-2008, 09:34 PM
derricksmash
V6 Ram Moderator
Default RE: K&N off the truck!

that's interesting. you can't expect to gain power and get good fuel economy.

my v6 gets 12mpg.

Old 06-27-2008, 10:26 PM
Kdarmy

I had read many mixed reviews on where some saw an increase in mpg and others with no change or in my case worse.
I never did expect to see any gain in power with the V6, not in the lower end rpms anyway.

What can I say, I took a chance & lost.
I'll be happy just to get back my 16mpg

Old 06-28-2008, 01:38 PM
daytona1680
Veteran

K&N is junk...They are not well liked in the diesel world, after guys started having problems with the cotton gauze (or whatever they use) started coming loose and getting sucked into their engines..

Old 06-28-2008, 04:08 PM
Kdarmy

I too have heard many bad things about the K&N filters, that's why when I first ordered mine I also ordered an Amsoil filter to use in place of the K&N filter.

The K&N filter is still sealed in the plastic it came in.
I think I'll just pack it all up and stick list it on "the bay" & get some of my money back.

Just a thought....What if I keep the resinator on & just replace the air filter box with the Amsoil filter, wouldnt be too hard to modify to fit, but would it be to any benifit to doing it ??? Would I see a decrease in MPG again ???

Keith

Old 06-28-2008, 04:50 PM
daytona1680
Veteran

ORIGINAL: Kdarmy

I too have heard many bad things about the K&N filters, that's why when I first ordered mine I also ordered an Amsoil filter to use in place of the K&N filter.

The K&N filter is still sealed in the plastic it came in.
I think I'll just pack it all up and stick list it on "the bay" & get some of my money back.

Just a thought....What if I keep the resinator on & just replace the air filter box with the Amsoil filter, wouldnt be too hard to modify to fit, but would it be to any benifit to doing it ??? Would I see a decrease in MPG again ???

Keith
I have always beleived to get the best results you should replace the entire factory setup...If you want to do it cheap go to home depot/lowes and get some pvc pipe(for whatever size the inlet is on your filter) and get a fernco coupling (that will attach the pvc to the throttle body) and you will need (2) 90*'s. put it all together and you will have a cheapCAI that will perform just as good as the 2-300$ CAI's, for 1/2 the price. Your milage should go up a little, maybe 1-2 mpg; you should also gain 5-10HP..The company's that claim they add 5+mpg, and upto 20HP are FOS

Old 06-29-2008, 05:21 AM
derricksmash
V6 Ram Moderator

in regards to the home depot pvc intakes: it's just as cheap to get a cheap one off of ebay. i got mine for about $60 shipped.

^^ don't i keep my engine bay nice and clean =)

Old 06-29-2008, 01:52 PM
daytona1680
Veteran

might be just as cheap but it dosnt replace the big *** resonator box that has baffles in it which restricts air flow......your engine is clean[sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 06-29-2008, 10:24 PM
derricksmash
V6 Ram Moderator

^^

yea, but the full intake that mount to your throttle body is like $10 more. i just didn't want one. maybe i'll go buy one.

Quick Reply: K&N off the truck!