3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Need help starting truck!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 03:48 PM
skipswife
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help starting truck!!

I was running errands with my 2007 Ram 3500 manual tranny today. After my third stop I got in to start the truck, but it wouldn't turn over. I have no idea why except that it doesn't seem to recognize my keys. I tried both. I called a dealer and he suggested I turn the key on and press the button behind it on the steering column. No help! My keys won't even lock or unlock the truck. The batteries can't be dead in both at the same time. My key will turn in the ignition. All the lights come on and the radio too, but when i push in the clutch and turn the key further...nothing! Can any one help me?

Old 06-28-2008, 03:59 PM
jstmahoney
Captain
Default RE: Need help starting truck!!

Is is still under the warranty? If so Call the dealer and tell them that it still won't turn over, to send a tow truck or they need to help you fix it! I am not 100% sure, but if you have the sentry key system in your ram, I'm guessing it has lost the key code or is malfunctioning, It's only a guess.

Old 06-28-2008, 04:05 PM
skipswife

Ya that's what I am afraid of and unfortunately I live in the sticks so my dealer isn't open on Saturdays. Thanks for your opinion!

Old 06-28-2008, 04:17 PM
jstmahoney
Captain

Yeah, I live in a fairly small town, so things are that way too. Especially on Sunday or Saturday at 7 pm when you notice one of your cars has a nail in the tire, and none of the tire places are open on Saturdays or Sundays[:@][:@]! Well, I wish you some Good Luck!

Old 06-28-2008, 04:22 PM
Mystro
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It looks like your sentry security system does not recognize the chip in your key. When you turned your ignition the first time it didnt reognize the chip, it locks the truck from starting. Only the dealer can reset the system. I wanted a extra key made so I could hide it under my truck so when I am out hunting and maybe lose my key-fob I can get into my truck. The dealer told me that the new made key (without the fob) will get me into the doors but not to put it in the ignition because it will set off the sentry and lock the truck from starting. I think this is your case.

Old 06-28-2008, 05:53 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Uhmmmmmmmm

When you say "nothing" does that mean it doesn't start, or doesn't turn over???

If it doesn't turn over, it could be the neutral safety switch on the clutch pedalor where ever they put the switch-just a thought.

Old 06-29-2008, 03:12 AM
Earl73

I wanted a extra key made so I could hide it under my truck so when I am out hunting and maybe lose my key-fob I can get into my truck. The dealer told me that the new made key (without the fob) will get me into the doors but not to put it in the ignition because it will set off the sentry and lock the truck from starting. I think this is your case.
That shouldn't be it. I have two chipless keys for my truck for getting in if I do something stupid or leaving the radio on while I work. Both will start the truck and it shuts itself back off after about 4 sec. at which point the chipless key won't work again until I start it with one of the chipped keys and everything is normal with the chipped key.

clutch interlock sounds more like it to me, since the electrical is coming on. Have you tried a push start?
If it was the sentry system there would be an indicator light blinking in the dash near the bottom right. That's what mine does when I tease it with my "dummy" keys.

Old 06-29-2008, 10:26 AM
rtmtrrdr
All Star
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ohhh i'm sure glad i don't have thoose chip things in my keys...but yeah i'd try to bump start it and see if its the clutch interlock

Quick Reply: Need help starting truck!!