3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

winter tires

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 04:06 PM
trx450
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default winter tires

whats a good winter tire for the stock 20" rims?

Old 08-11-2008, 01:28 PM
mackie

I was wondering the exact same question. Does anyone else in the snow belt areas have any suggestions? Does anyone change their rims to something else in order to use a more aggressive winter tire?

Old 08-11-2008, 03:14 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Best bet for driving on snow covered roads would be a fairly aggressive all-terrain tire. When I lived up north I had a set of Mickey Thompson MTX radials. They were fantastic in snow and mud. Were an extremely popular tire among the farmer set as well. It was good on ice as well and was heavily siped for wet road conditions.
I don't think it's made anymore (it's not on their website) but the Baja ATZ replaced it. I know it's a favorite of some of my Ga. hunting buddies who use their 4x4s as daily drivers.
Regardless of tire choice, the single most important thing you can do in winter is to have some weight in the bed over the rear axle. I ALWAYS put a good size bag (like 80 lbs) of sand just inside each tire well and it did wonders. Another nice thing is if you do get stuck, you can always crack a bag open and use the sand to get traction.
Oh yea, put the sand bags in heavy duty yard bags so the wet won't destroy them and make a mess. And I just remembered, every spring I'd go to the nearest park and would dump the sand in the sandbox(s) in the kids play area. Just my little community mindedness thing...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 08-11-2008 at 05:25 PM.
Old 08-11-2008, 04:27 PM
pcollins
Veteran

Good advice Hammer.

I am moving to Denver soon and am looking for a good winter tire also, especially since I dont have 4x4 (damnit!). A while back the Cooper Zeon LTZ's were a big hit on these boards. Any pros or cons with these? I was actually planning on purchasing them within the next month or so, but since this thread has popped up I would love to hear some input on them.

Old 08-11-2008, 06:11 PM
mackie

Are these tires 20" tires that we can use the factory rim or do people get a 16" rim with winter tires?

I have the ARE hard tonneau cover and the bed organizer bars that will keep the sand/weight distributed over the rear axle and will stay dry.

Old 08-11-2008, 07:33 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Well you're not gonna get 16" wheels on a 3rd gen because of the calipers. But 17s will work. When I got the Mickey MTXs I used them year round, but back in the day, in upstate N.Y., I ran studded tires in the winter and had them on a set of cheap, black steel wheels. Took my Cragar's (I told you it was back in the day) with my mud tires off and just slipped the other ones on...

Quick Reply: winter tires