3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Start up

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 07:49 AM
moparmutt
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Start up

The other day, I hit the switch and it didn't start. I fliped it to fast. It just barely turned over. So I hit it again and it fires right up, but I heard a knock when it first started. This is the first time I have ever heard it. I have been paying more attenion on start up now and not flipping it so fast. And it only happens when it doesn't start the first time. Because my Dad has done it too.
It has 28800 miles on it.
What do you guys think? Do I need to be concerned?

Old 07-01-2008, 07:57 AM
KRZY.BMET
Peaceful Browser
Default RE: Start up

There is a fuel pump that needs to prime before startup. If you jump in the car after it has sat for awhile (overnight or whatever) and flip the key speed racer fast, you will hear something, even a hestitation to start. This is normal. I make it a habit, no matter how new or old the car is, I always turn the key slowly to start. The fuel pump only needs a half second to prime.

Old 07-01-2008, 09:07 AM
moparmutt
Veteran

That's what I do now.
The time it did it to me it was warm, only sat maybe 10 minutes.

Old 07-01-2008, 01:48 PM
KRZY.BMET
Peaceful Browser

what gas are you running? Not many, but there has been weird things that happen if you run less than 89 in the tank. I did once and my truck spit while I was sitting at redlights and would actually stall when I shifted to reverse. It might just be bad gas.

Old 07-01-2008, 03:09 PM
moparmutt
Veteran

I was running 93 with the performance tune on the superchip. But I just changed it to 87 tune so I could run it.

Old 07-01-2008, 06:04 PM
KRZY.BMET
Peaceful Browser

The only other thing I can think of without actually seeing the truck is to check to see if there is an update for your tuner. After that you might be looking at either a partially clogged fuel filter or a fuel pump that is going bad.

Old 07-01-2008, 06:52 PM
HemiJay
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

t

Old 07-01-2008, 07:05 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Perhaps the starter bendix isn't releasing all of the way causing the noise.

Old 07-01-2008, 08:14 PM
andrew64
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive also had a issue with start up twice now. I get in turn the key over one maybe two clicks let the little red little go on (the one next to the temp gauge) then when it goes off thats when I turn over the starter. I dont hold down the key since you dont have to with the 08' and thats when sometimes it just keeps trying to start. Then it kits over the engine. The starter will keep turning for about 2 sec then engine will fire up. Most of the time engine turns right over as soon as I turn over the key. Anyone else with this issue?

Old 07-02-2008, 09:36 PM
moparmutt
Veteran

ORIGINAL: L and R Two

The only other thing I can think of without actually seeing the truck is to check to see if there is an update for your tuner. After that you might be looking at either a partially clogged fuel filter or a fuel pump that is going bad.
I'm pretty sure it's not the fuel pump. It runs great. It's mainly user error, trying to play speed racer with the switch.

Quick Reply: Start up